ReactOS selling computers in stores

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, drop it in here. (not to be used as a chat/nonsense section)

Moderator: Moderator Team

PurpleGurl

Re: ReactOS selling computers in stores

Post by PurpleGurl »

classicgamelover85 wrote:I uninstalled my AV again. Slows the computer down. LOL well anyways. This is how I sink my boat, how do you sink yours? Nobody can claim they've been without computer problems, even if they had AV software installed, everyone has sunken their ship before--either by accident or on purpose. Come on now, lets confess... be honest.
You might want to try something like Avira. It is one of the more lightweight ones, AFAIK. I am old school and prefer to run on-demand checkers.

You are right on mistakes. Interestingly, not all online viruses use the direct route. I've noticed icons for things I've never installed before. But rather than tracing them back to the files and deleting the shortcuts involved, I was too curious for my own good. Oops. If you see any link for a seeming "utility" you never installed, gut it out, don't run it. Don't just remove the shortcut, but manually find the files and delete them, and I would not trust its uninstaller, assuming it even has one. Then take other measures (spyware and AV scans, preferably multiple different ones, hardening the browser, etc).

Combofix is a good tool for certain infections, but it can hose your ability to get online. If that happens, take a note of what all was deleted from the logs or copy them to a non-monitored drive, then run system restore. After that, manually make the changes if possible. Generally, it is advised to let an online adviser help you with that tool and similar, unless you really know what you are doing.
tomleem

ReactOS Store?

Post by tomleem »

Perhaps when ReactOS reaches 1.0, there could be a ReactOS store like the one that Microsoft or Apple has? Perhaps it would be more of a kiosk than a store? If one is to dream, why not dream big? :geek:
Tom Lee M / BigGoofyGuy
KnownSyntax

Post by KnownSyntax »

When ReactOS 1.x comes out that would be pretty cool if it had it's own application store, although the current version does have a application manager which is roughly the same thing.

When ReactOS gets stable enough I'm sure that many different computer companies would look into placing this onto the laptops/desktops instead of Microsoft, just as they have for Ubuntu and ChromeOS. It all just depends on how well ReactOS will run, it's support, and how many things you can install on it or what you can use it for specifically.
FreshAquaria - Freshwater Discussion and Knowledgebase
PurpleGurl

Post by PurpleGurl »

Why an app store? Why go down this road? We are open source, and most of the stuff is commercial. It would be nice to have an "app store" for FOSS software. It would be confusing to add commercial software.
mametoc

Post by mametoc »

Agreed. But in mi opinion neighter any some sort of "Advanced Packaging Tool" to be included by default in ReactOS.
erkinalp

Post by erkinalp »

Debian APT format is already there.
-uses Ubuntu+GNOME 3 GNU/Linux
-likes Free (as in freedom) and Open Source Detergents
-favors open source of Windows 10 under GPL2
mametoc

Post by mametoc »

True, ROS manager discovered thanks to you, i no friend of online installations. This is one of the reasons i avoid ubuntu and others... that centralism...
jonaspm

Post by jonaspm »

If you dont like online stores, then you dont like real life malls since its almost the same thing...

By having a store, others software can be promoted and a small fee could be applied for paid software in benefit of ReactOS
mametoc

Post by mametoc »

By having a store, others software can be promoted and a small fee could be applied for paid software in benefit of ReactOS
Agreed, after see that **$·%·! Downloable app/drivers section in ReactOS manager i don't wanna donate any cent here even if i owned 1 million, 10 millions or 100 millions euros, so at this point i think is not bad idea to get money in others ways for the project.
mametoc

Post by mametoc »

Curiously i like malls but relatively, i mean specialized, MediaMarket, Decathlon, i didn't like much for example Carrefour eske type where you might found anything (terrific to me) but it was the very (and a bit dramatic) final option.

Mention also what in a mall, apps, games and drivers... not much... they sells more physical things, not almost the same.
Dave3434

Post by Dave3434 »

why not just have firefox preinstalled and download what you want from oldapps and such. or have your programs on a usb stick? that's what i do anyways?
hbelusca
Developer

Post by hbelusca »

Dave3434 wrote:why not just have firefox preinstalled and download what you want from oldapps and such. or have your programs on a usb stick? that's what i do anyways?
Because the philosophy is to have a minimum OS in the bootcd/livecd and it's up to the user to download what he/she wants.
Dave3434

Post by Dave3434 »

without a web browser?
mametoc

Post by mametoc »

Yeah, but incomprehensibly, whit paint, calculator, notepad,sound recorder, etc...
Black_Fox

Post by Black_Fox »

There is no Firefox in Windows 2003, yet there are all those tools you mentioned, so the compatibility is retained. There will maybe appear some sort of IE-like browser in due time. Currently you can mount an ISO or run RAPPS and install anything you want anyway, so what's the problem?