All development related issues welcome

Moderator: Moderator Team

binsys

Are learning to rewrite usetup.exe and blue.sys

Post by binsys »

Are learning to rewrite usetup.exe and blue.sys
Google Translate
Original: http://www.reactos.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=12254

Current the ReactOS text mode installation interface using 8 * 8 dot matrix font (vgafont)
Can only accommodate 256 font, font within the CJK character set fonts require a minimum of 14 * 14 matrix, and the matrix is more, the current mode is unable to support the internationalization of the text installation interface, now several Central and implementation of usetup.exe and blue sys rewritten, modeled on Microsoft Windows ® Windows XP mode, to use graphics driver (videoprt.sys, vga.sys) display graphics mode analog text mode installation configuration interface. The existing problem is the number of lattice matrix suitable for international use, such as Microsoft Windows ® Windows XP as 16 * 16 16 * 8 or more? Smaller?

all functions within the usetup.exe will be moved into the setupdd.sys (new drive), retaining only a small part of the code loaded setupdd.sys. (Like xp)
vicmarcal
Test Team

Re: Are learning to rewrite usetup.exe and blue.sys

Post by vicmarcal »

Oh!Nice to see Development in this area :)
Wellcome!
Will you keep us updated in this Thread about your findings/development? That would be so cool :)
binsys

Post by binsys »

vicmarcal wrote:Oh!Nice to see Development in this area :)
Wellcome!
Will you keep us updated in this Thread about your findings/development? That would be so cool :)
Well, my English is very bad.Rely heavily on Google Translate.
Who can I answer modeled the XP setupdd.sys and usetup.exe whether legal issues? To what extent?
hbelusca
Developer

Post by hbelusca »

If I recall correctly, setupdd.sys was used for the text-mode setup program only until Windows NT 4.0 . Starting Windows 2000 (and beyond), it doesn't use setupdd.sys . This file is used only for the recovery console. But these claims should be checked.
ekohl
Developer

Post by ekohl »

Hello binsys,

please do not move the usetup code into setupdd.sys. I think Microsoft chose this approach because they just wanted to implement the setup application as quick as possible and ignored all the problems that are caused by this decision (keyboard layouts, chractersets, etc.).

In my opinion, it would be a good idea to replace the text-mode setup by a gui-based one. We alredy have a simple gui-setup application in the source tree. This could be a good starting point for you. Translating the setup appication will then be as simple as translating any other application.

Regards,
Eric
hbelusca
Developer

Post by hbelusca »

ekohl wrote:[...] In my opinion, it would be a good idea to replace the text-mode setup by a gui-based one. We alredy have a simple gui-setup application in the source tree. This could be a good starting point for you. Translating the setup appication will then be as simple as translating any other application. [...]
Well Eric is right there, the GUI setup app template available there: http://svn.reactos.org/svn/reactos/trun ... p/reactos/ waits to be implemented / improved etc... A GUI setup would then correspond to a livecd-like which starts on-demand the setup in GUI-mode (or the live ReactOS distribution).

Cheers,
Hermès.
erkinalp

Post by erkinalp »

Then we could reduce the number of necessary reboots by this approach from two to one (and eventually zero).
-uses Ubuntu+GNOME 3 GNU/Linux
-likes Free (as in freedom) and Open Source Detergents
-favors open source of Windows 10 under GPL2
ekohl
Developer

Post by ekohl »

erkinalp wrote:Then we could reduce the number of necessary reboots by this approach from two to one (and eventually zero).
What makes you think you can reduce the number reboots?
- The first boot (first stage (text-mode) setup) installs the basic OS components, in order to boot into gui-setup.
- The second boot (second stage (gui) setup) detects all PnP-Devices, installs their drivers, configures system components, creates builtin administrator and user accounts and intializes security settings.
- The third boot is the first boot where a user can logon to the system.

You could probably reduce the number of reboots, but it will increase the level of complexity of the setup routines.
A setup without reboot is just an illusion, because in this case the kernel and the other OS component must be fully reconfigurable at runtime. It is like trying to change the tyres of a driving car.
binsys

Post by binsys »

hbelusca wrote:If I recall correctly, setupdd.sys was used for the text-mode setup program only until Windows NT 4.0 . Starting Windows 2000 (and beyond), it doesn't use setupdd.sys . This file is used only for the recovery console. But these claims should be checked.

Until the last edition in 2003, he is still in the text mode installation is used, for example, installed from a CD-ROM.The Recovery console use the spcmdcon.sys dependent on him.
binsys

Post by binsys »

ekohl wrote:Hello binsys,

please do not move the usetup code into setupdd.sys. I think Microsoft chose this approach because they just wanted to implement the setup application as quick as possible and ignored all the problems that are caused by this decision (keyboard layouts, chractersets, etc.).

In my opinion, it would be a good idea to replace the text-mode setup by a gui-based one. We alredy have a simple gui-setup application in the source tree. This could be a good starting point for you. Translating the setup appication will then be as simple as translating any other application.

Regards,
Eric
You may not understand what I mean, after studying windows 2003 CD-ROM to start the installation process, you will find that Microsoft consider other issues such as character, DBCS language installer call spddlang.sys provided by setupdd.sys keyboard, multi-countrysupport of the language problem.
binsys

Post by binsys »

hbelusca wrote:
ekohl wrote:[...] In my opinion, it would be a good idea to replace the text-mode setup by a gui-based one. We alredy have a simple gui-setup application in the source tree. This could be a good starting point for you. Translating the setup appication will then be as simple as translating any other application. [...]
Well Eric is right there, the GUI setup app template available there: http://svn.reactos.org/svn/reactos/trun ... p/reactos/ waits to be implemented / improved etc... A GUI setup would then correspond to a livecd-like which starts on-demand the setup in GUI-mode (or the live ReactOS distribution).

Cheers,
Hermès.
Not I said this during the installation process, but after booting from the CD, the blue-screen interface, this interface is not multi-lingual support, and at this time there is no environment available to run the GUI installer.
(SETUPLDR-> NTOSKRNL.EXE-> SMSS.EXE (USETUP.EXE)), no load win32 subsystem unable to run the gui form.
binsys

Post by binsys »

If you give up the text mode installation interface, like windows vista or later, directly from a pre-installed windows PE start, is also a good solution, but it will increase the size of the distribution of documents as well as compatibility.
ekohl
Developer

Post by ekohl »

binsys wrote:You may not understand what I mean, after studying windows 2003 CD-ROM to start the installation process, you will find that Microsoft consider other issues such as character, DBCS language installer call spddlang.sys provided by setupdd.sys keyboard, multi-countrysupport of the language problem.
These problems can be solved by using a GUI-based setup. The country-specific keyboard layout can be loaded, the language-specific character set can be used (if a matching font is available), without the need to reimplement these features for the text-mode. Support for the CJK character sets is also included because the dialogs in the GUI-based setup use UNICODE (UTF8).

Please let us know of any specific problem that can not be solved by a GUI-based setup
binsys

Post by binsys »

ekohl wrote:
binsys wrote:You may not understand what I mean, after studying windows 2003 CD-ROM to start the installation process, you will find that Microsoft consider other issues such as character, DBCS language installer call spddlang.sys provided by setupdd.sys keyboard, multi-countrysupport of the language problem.
These problems can be solved by using a GUI-based setup. The country-specific keyboard layout can be loaded, the language-specific character set can be used (if a matching font is available), without the need to reimplement these features for the text-mode. Support for the CJK character sets is also included because the dialogs in the GUI-based setup use UNICODE (UTF8).

Please let us know of any specific problem that can not be solved by a GUI-based setup
[ external image ]

Whether the page can be multi-lingual?8x8 font is too small, the text mode can not support DBCS character set.
hto
Developer

Post by hto »

If you give up the text mode installation interface, like windows vista or later, directly from a pre-installed windows PE start, is also a good solution, but it will increase the size of the distribution of documents as well as compatibility.
ReactOS already has BootCD and LiveCD variants. They could be merged into one installable LiveCD distribution.
Whether the page can be multi-lingual? 8x8 font is too small, the text mode can not support DBCS character set.
Just give up the text mode altogether.