ReactOS selling computers in stores

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, drop it in here. (not to be used as a chat/nonsense section)

Moderator: Moderator Team

mametoc

Re: ReactOS selling computers in stores

Post by mametoc »

I never used Windows 2003, but had also a manager to install apps downloading them? (Manager reactOS).
Pisarz

Post by Pisarz »

mametoc wrote:I never used Windows 2003, but had also a manager to install apps downloading them? (Manager reactOS).
Nope.

I see you're a real hater of RAPPS. I think you're really overreacting (heh). It's nothing wrong with providing an easy access to apps and drivers that work on ROS, especially when there is no browser integrated in the OS itself. It won't be the only way of installing applications and drivers, no system lockdown and shit, so I can't understand, why are you complaining about it anyway?
mametoc

Post by mametoc »

Well i don't like OS/app which depends of an internet conection to help run properly. And neighter do a centralized system that might be use downloads as stadistics and do derived works whit those infos. Neighter, as example, ommit in the main dir list other apps that currently works only because still are not populated (or never will be) or due other thinks, as the same is happening whit GNU/Linux distros. ReactOS is an Operative System not an internet app/driver browser!.
Black_Fox

Post by Black_Fox »

mametoc wrote:Well i don't like OS/app which depends of an internet conection to help run properly.
No non-cloud OS depends on an internet connection, only users do. You are free to keep your stuff on CDs if you like it more.
mametoc

Post by mametoc »

Really?, sure what Ubuntu always ask user to download a LOT of extra stuff during installation progress...

Remember that i writed "to help run properly", not "to run properly".
tomleem

9TO5REACTOS?

Post by tomleem »

With Microsoft and Apple having a store and Google opening a store, why not ReactOS? :D It won't be very big; IMO, more like a kiosk. :P
Tom Lee M / BigGoofyGuy
PurpleGurl

Re: 9TO5REACTOS?

Post by PurpleGurl »

tomleem wrote:With Microsoft and Apple having a store and Google opening a store, why not ReactOS? :D It won't be very big; IMO, more like a kiosk. :P
However, I don't see us switching to a store of RT apps soon. For instance, you can get games for Windows 8 at the Microsoft store, but they can only be installed on Windows 8. Even on 3rd party sites, you find Windows 8 style hyperlinks that only Windows 8 can understand which tell it to pop up the Windows 8 store. It won't work in any OS but 8, and won't even work under 8 initially if you don't use IE. I was watching a friend whom someone gave a laptop to. She likes Chrome but had to switch to IE if she wanted to get Windows 8 apps. It would be nice if we can avoid all this sort of thing.

I like the idea of RAPPs. One thing I'd like to see would be a lightweight browser included by default. Something like OffByOne, Dillo32, or something. That way, if you have to get something off the Net (other than a network driver) early on right after installing, you can get it.
tomleem

Post by tomleem »

The Google store is - supposedly - sell more than just computers and devices selling but also things like t-shirts and other items with their product names and designs on them. :ugeek:

I wonder what the store would be called? Perhaps ROStore? 9to5ROS? What might be the name of the retail store? Inquiring minds want to know. :ugeek:
Tom Lee M / BigGoofyGuy
jonaspm

Post by jonaspm »

Official ReactOS Store
sounds elegant
tomleem

Slogan for ROS Store? (Re: ReactOS selling computers in stor

Post by tomleem »

Perhaps the slogan could be 'See What ReactOS Has 'In Store' For You?' :ugeek:
Tom Lee M / BigGoofyGuy
tomleem

ReactOS Skins?

Post by tomleem »

Perhaps one could sell ReactOS 'skins' for one computer or cell phone or tablet computer? One could show off these 'skins' at a ReactOS store. 8-) Skins like they have at Skinit where one can get either one of those they have or upload a picture to make a custom 'skin'. :ugeek: (just thinking out loud). :geek:
http://www.skini.com

There are many small computers that would look great with a ReactOS skin on them. :!:
http://thecoolgadgets.com/nettop-comput ... pire-revo/
Some computers are as small as this one. :D
[ external image ]
A blank side is like a empty canvas waiting to have expression.

Here is one that is really small. :o Space Cube.
http://technology.nicefun.net/space-cub ... -an-apple/
[ external image ]
I only showed this since it is so small and cute. It is too limited and overpriced.
Tom Lee M / BigGoofyGuy
DOSGuy

Post by DOSGuy »

classicgamelover85 wrote:Okay, so lets just assume its hiding and I don't know its there. So what now? Is it going to sneakily steal my credit card info? Or my bank account? Maybe it will manage to steal one embarrassing photo of me at last years Christmas party! :lol:
If you're part of a botnet or infecting your friends and family with viruses, you're not being a good netizen. People who refuse to use anti-virus software are like people who refuse to get vaccinated: they threaten the health of everyone around them.
Today entirely the maniac there is no excuse with the article. Get free BeOS, DOS, OS/2, and Windows games at RGB Classic Games.
Black_Fox

Post by Black_Fox »

DOSGuy wrote:people who refuse to get vaccinated: they threaten the health of everyone around them.
I agree with the un-quoted rest of the post. But that ^, that is one amusing opinion.
DOSGuy

Post by DOSGuy »

Black_Fox wrote:
DOSGuy wrote:people who refuse to get vaccinated: they threaten the health of everyone around them.
I agree with the un-quoted rest of the post. But that ^, that is one amusing opinion.
With the current measles outbreak in Wales being blamed, in part, on decreasing vaccinations rates, I don't see anything amusing about letting yourself become a carrier for a disease that you should be immune to. You can unwittingly become a Typhoid Mary, infecting everyone around you. I'm not sure if there's a clever name for the digial equivalent. Trojan Mary?
Today entirely the maniac there is no excuse with the article. Get free BeOS, DOS, OS/2, and Windows games at RGB Classic Games.
Black_Fox

Post by Black_Fox »

I don't see the point (said diplomatically). If everyone's vaccinated except for a few select ones, nobody will get ill as there are only the already ill carriers and the immune ones. Also, with the health system becoming business for pharmaceutical companies instead of a way to make people healthier, I very much understand the aversion against anything that is not really necessary. There is not a vaccine against every disease, there are some with very probable strong side effects (what the hell? should be (near-)dead viruses). It also creates a false idea that one can throw away healthy lifestyle and instead become immortal by vaccination and pills. That said, I agree with some kind of a "basic set" to keep some of the worse diseases away.

The computer world analogy can be that prevention and protection against the majority of malware is the most practical solution. No antivirus, paid or unpaid, can stop absolutely all mallware. Even if we are led to believe that paid will do it 100% :-)