Black screen after Live CD loads

Ask your support questions in here

Moderator: Moderator Team

surfinjo

Black screen after Live CD loads

Post by surfinjo »

middings wrote:The topic "[ReadThis]ReactOS doesn't work in my computer!!" is for advice about making a good request for support help or a bug report. You really should open a fresh topic in the Support forum, perhaps titled "Black screen after Live CD loads". One problem, one topic.
Can anyone offer any advice?
surfinjo wrote:Just burned a copy of ReactOS-0.3.17-REL-live

Getting BSD, (though that is black screen) after the CD has finished loading.ie the line has gone across the screen, and the list has worked up to and through, Loading Drivers

I've tried the suggestion in the OP, unsuccessfully. I'm using a cordless keyboard and assume ReactOS doesn't support the USB transmitter. It's strange, because it supports USB but can't think of any other reason.

So I don't have the debugging information. I accept this may make it impossible and apologise, but will offer a list of my Rig to begin, hoping that it may be enough. If not I will understand. I can try to get a wired keyboard but not sure when.

Custom build.
2.40 gigahertz Intel Core2 Quad
64 kilobyte primary memory cache
4096 kilobyte secondary memory cache
64-bit ready
In use since late 2007 using XP and W7 in 32 bit mode
Twin SSDs.
External CD/DVD driver. Samsung. SE-208
Motherboard
Board: ASUSTeK Computer INC. P5N32-E SLI 1.XX
Bus Clock: 266 megahertz
BIOS: Phoenix Technologies, LTD ASUS P5N32-E SLI ACPI BIOS Revision 1205 08/22/2007
Memory
3072 Megabytes Usable Installed Memory
Controllers
Standard floppy disk controller
NVIDIA nForce 590/570/550 Serial ATA Controller (3x)
Primary IDE Channel [Controller]
Secondary IDE Channel [Controller]
Standard Dual Channel PCI IDE Controller

Graphics card
ASUS GeForce GTX 760 DirectCU II OC 2GB GDDR5

Bus
Standard Enhanced PCI to USB Host Controller
Standard OpenHCD USB Host Controller
6 x USB2

Multimedia
Avnex Virtual Audio Device
C-Media PCI Audio Device

Communications
1394 Net Adapter
NVIDIA nForce Networking Controller
Once again, apologies this is not all that was asked for. Just hoping.

Brief into of myself..

Retired, 60+ (Can't remember any more :) )
Educated to 1st year university level. (Abandoned when I decided to earn real money!!)
Some computer experience, building and limited debugging, but none at the levels to create an OS.
Previously experimented with Linux, though abandoned it.
Can offer to review as appropriate, from the perspective of someone who isn't very knowledgeable, but very keen on a decent OS.
Black_Fox

Re: Black screen after Live CD loads

Post by Black_Fox »

Also from the topic:
surfinjo wrote:Thank you Black_Fox for your reply.

Firstly I must apologise, typing 0.3.16 was a mistake, I should have typed 0.3.17. It is actually the only LiveCD available for download.

Secondly, to be sure, I've just tried once again, to run the CD, 4 times in all, once for each of the 4 offerings:

Live CD
Live CD (debug)
Live CD (screen)
Live CD Log File.

Each time the screen becomes black and unresponsive after the final BOOT Drivers have been loaded.

The screen is definitely receiving a signal from the computer, as indicated. But is not responding at all.

I know my Graphics card works with the Windows Generic Display Driver, as I have used it previously. I assume the Live CD is loading that driver or similar.

Suggestions will be appreciated.
oldman

Post by oldman »

surfinjo wrote:Just burned a copy of ReactOS-0.3.17-REL-live

Getting BSD, (though that is black screen) after the CD has finished loading.ie the line has gone across the screen, and the list has worked up to and through, Loading Drivers
If you want to be helpful, then you will need to buy a nullmodem cable (that is if you have two computers with serial ports), because the boot process is getting far enough to for the OS to send information out of the serial port, when run in debug mode.
Please keep the Windows classic 9x/2000 look and feel.
The layman's guides - debugging - bug reporting - compiling - ISO remaster.
They may help you with a problem, so do have a look at them.
surfinjo

Post by surfinjo »

oldman wrote:
If you want to be helpful, then you will need to buy a nullmodem cable (that is if you have two computers with serial ports), because the boot process is getting far enough to for the OS to send information out of the serial port, when run in debug mode.
I don't have two computers. What ever gave you that idea?
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

Then use debug to screen.
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

If my post/reply offends or insults you, be sure that you know what sarcasm is...
surfinjo

Post by surfinjo »

EmuandCo wrote:Then use debug to screen.
I've tried to load with each of the 4 options available and all produced the same result, a blank screen.

Live CD
Live CD (debug)
Live CD (screen)
Live CD Log File.

It must be something quite simple.
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

In that case its not really simple. That means that it dies not even manage to load bootvid and hangs at kernel loadup...
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

If my post/reply offends or insults you, be sure that you know what sarcasm is...
middings

Post by middings »

surfinjo wrote:2.40 gigahertz Intel Core2 Quad
Does surfinjo have to configure his multi-core machine to use only one processor before running ReactOS? The 0.3.x releases don't yet support multiple processors.

BSOD on DELL OptiPlex GX520 describes a "blackscreen during installation" problem and how kajikoffo was able to resolve it on his machine. Other problems kajikoffo then encountered are also discussed.
surfinjo

Post by surfinjo »

I know BS when I read it.
erkinalp

Post by erkinalp »

Non-SMP kernels will utilize the processor they have been loaded. This is usually determined by BIOS.
-uses Ubuntu+GNOME 3 GNU/Linux
-likes Free (as in freedom) and Open Source Detergents
-favors open source of Windows 10 under GPL2