64bit ReactOS Availability (Latest Firefox + Wine 64)

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

e8hffff

64bit ReactOS Availability (Latest Firefox + Wine 64)

Post by e8hffff »

The other day I downloaded ReactOS 32bit ver 4.8, but after setting it up, it's more or less useless for daily deployment, as it wont run the latest Firefox due to no 64bit support. I wanted to say on my main desktop running Archlinux, Wine 64 runs perfectly if that's any consolation. There's no reason to remain exclusively in the old realm of 32bit Windows.

For some background. I setup ReactOS as a VirtualBox image to use it for webpage testing for what Windows users would receive. I deleted my Windows 10 image to flick Microsoft, but now left without a solution.

When is ReactOS offering 64bit versions? I think your project's milestone will be this and its ability to run the latest versions of Firefox.

Thanks guys for your efforts, but seriously the current builds of ReactOS are more or less demonstrations of old Windows.
ROCKNROLLKID

Re: 64bit ReactOS Availability (Latest Firefox + Wine 64)

Post by ROCKNROLLKID »

https://github.com/reactos/reactos/pull/361

About as far as 64-bit support has gone. It looks like Timo has put it on hold, though, but he has done some miscellaneous 64-bit fixing here and there lately. It is probably going to be a while before we see any 64-bit builds, though, even if that PR gets merged anytime soon, as that is just for AMD64 and currently no 32-bit support for it.
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

Current Forefox runs absolutley fine on 32 bit OSes. https://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/firefox/rel ... n32/en-US/
But NOT on anything < NT6.1 aka Win7. And this is what you see right now. This needs no 64 bit support to be fixed, this needs other stuff.
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

If my post/reply offends or insults you, be sure that you know what sarcasm is...
dizt3mp3r

Post by dizt3mp3r »

e8hffff wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 4:59 am The other day I downloaded ReactOS 32bit ver 4.8, but after setting it up, it's more or less useless for daily deployment
ReactOS is in Alpha and not in any way ready for daily deployment. It is a surprise that you state this as you really ought to know this already! You cannot have done any research on ReactOS and probably failed to read the installation instructions.
e8hffff wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 4:59 am I deleted my Windows 10 image to flick Microsoft, but now left without a solution.
That is sad but perhaps another instance of you taking actions before thinking.
e8hffff wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 4:59 am Thanks guys for your efforts, but seriously the current builds of ReactOS are more or less demonstrations of old Windows.
That is absolutely correct. That is the current aim of ReactOS - ie. compatibility with NT5. You really need to do some research before you proceed down any path as your post demonstrates a lack of basic investigation. Seriously, installing ReactOS on your live machine (which you clearly intended to do) might have 'hosed' your data. Surprised no-one else here didn't pull you up short on what you were trying to do.
Skillset: VMS,DOS,Windows Sysadmin from 1985, fault-tolerance, VaxCluster, Alpha,Sparc. DCL,QB,VBDOS- VB6,.NET, PHP,NODE.JS, Graphic Design, Project Manager, CMS, Quad Electronics. classic cars & m'bikes. Artist in water & oils. Historian.
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

I first wanted to, but it's too hot right now to start a discussion ^^
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

If my post/reply offends or insults you, be sure that you know what sarcasm is...
dizt3mp3r

Post by dizt3mp3r »

:D
Skillset: VMS,DOS,Windows Sysadmin from 1985, fault-tolerance, VaxCluster, Alpha,Sparc. DCL,QB,VBDOS- VB6,.NET, PHP,NODE.JS, Graphic Design, Project Manager, CMS, Quad Electronics. classic cars & m'bikes. Artist in water & oils. Historian.
anthracen

Post by anthracen »

e8hffff wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 4:59 am The other day I downloaded ReactOS 32bit ver 4.8, but after setting it up, it's more or less useless for daily deployment, as it wont run the latest Firefox due to no 64bit support. I wanted to say on my main desktop running Archlinux, Wine 64 runs perfectly if that's any consolation. There's no reason to remain exclusively in the old realm of 32bit Windows.
Thanks God, you showed up and did finally this wise and so needed advice! This is exactly what ReactOS lacked drastically!!1
I deleted my Windows 10 image to flick Microsoft, but now left without a solution.
Congrats, you have passed the test successfully. did you know by the way, that Microsoft is a platinum member of linux foundation? whatever member they are, now, all the linux making dudes care about loving Microsoft back not bothering themselves with caring or even thinking about existence of zealots, that "delete Win10 to flick Microsoft" whereas the same zealots claim they need it for "web testing"... or need them?
Thanks guys for your efforts, but seriously the current builds of ReactOS are more or less demonstrations of old Windows.
Well, if you run an ugly linux desktop, the demonstration of "old Windows" should be quite impressive still. At least looking at it for some period, will stop the constant eyebleeding caused by staring at the linux desktop GUI. :lol:
karlexceed

Post by karlexceed »

anthracen wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:48 pm
e8hffff wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 4:59 am There's no reason to remain exclusively in the old realm of 32bit Windows.
Thanks God, you showed up and did finally this wise and so needed advice! This is exactly what ReactOS lacked drastically!!1
Hence: https://reactos.org/wiki/AMD64
It's not like this isn't in the works... But you know, maybe having a stable 32-bit system first is important?
anthracen wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:48 pm
Well, if you run an ugly linux desktop, the demonstration of "old Windows" should be quite impressive still. At least looking at it for some period, will stop the constant eyebleeding caused by staring at the linux desktop GUI. :lol:
First, YES, ROS currently looks like Windows XP/2003. Guess why? Because that's the current compatibility target. Aero isn't really a critical part of Windows, you know?

Second, I get sick of the anti-Linux talk that some users repeatedly post in this forum. The same tired old jokes that don't really have a lot of bearing on the current state of things. Ooh, Linux can look old. Yeah, and Linux can also look like OSX, so what? Windows Server Core 2016 is command line only. Pretty 70s, don't you think?
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

Most ppl just pretend Server Core not to exist at all ^^ Anyways, as much as I like the way you teach a newbie... Watch your words. Insulting is not allowed by whoever does it... I don't care who to silence in the end if needed.

e8hffff

Post by e8hffff »

After some quick google searches I didn't find any references to x86-64 fr ReactOS, and with the daily builds you can choose to show 64 ISO's but none displayed flicking through the history. I posted my comment in some ways hoping the Developers of ReastOS weren't being hindered by the notion that Wine64 is unusable. I wont be returning to 32bit Wine prefixes, as the 64bit is now fairly solid and workable.

@EmuandCo, thanks, that's good to know that the problem is more to do with version checks, than old DLL's.

For those saying I was an idiot getting rid of my Win10 image, well I only used it for displaying webpages to see how the HTML/CSS displayed in that environment, and from time to time, run the likes of FlashTools (yep there's a Linux version) for phone flashing, or driving my flatbed scanner. Linux lacks scanner driver support.

I'm going to try to get the latest ReactOS running my scanner now, so lets hope I get it working.
Last edited by e8hffff on Wed Jul 25, 2018 1:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
e8hffff

Post by e8hffff »

If I were the ReactOS Developers, I would stop 90% of works on 32Bit ReactOS and concentrate on the 64bit side.
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

Won't help in any way at all. Why? Simple. You NEED close to the whole 32 Bit system for WOW64 support aka running 32 Bit apps on 64 Bit OS. Thus it must be stable. 64 Bit support without 32 Bit apps working would be overkill because MANY if not MOST apps still use 32 Bit components for some stuff even if it's just the setup. The plan to force ppl to use 64 Bit only was one of the biggest failures of Intel's history aka the Itanium platforms. There is no use in concentrating to port a 32 Bit system to 64 Bit if the base is already lacking stability and many APIs. Timo Kreuzer does the effort almost on his own out of many different reasons though. Like... bug fixing. (And of course to be able to boot it on 64 Bit mode ^^)

Funfact: Some crazy efforts were done to get this thing close to a working state already. Like HAL using our CPU emulator used for NTVDM to emulate specific BIOS calls not working on 64 Bit mode.

anthracen

Post by anthracen »

karlexceed wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 10:16 pm Hence: https://reactos.org/wiki/AMD64
It's not like this isn't in the works... But you know, maybe having a stable 32-bit system first is important?
May I ask you - do you get what the sarcasm is?
First, YES, ROS currently looks like Windows XP/2003. Guess why? Because that's the current compatibility target. Aero isn't really a critical part of Windows, you know?
Win95 classic theme is my favorite GUI ever. I feel like you didn't get what I said at all.
It's just:
Second, I get sick of the anti-Linux talk that some users repeatedly post in this forum. The same tired old jokes that don't really have a lot of bearing on the current state of things. Ooh, Linux can look old. Yeah, and Linux can also look like OSX, so what? Windows Server Core 2016 is command line only. Pretty 70s, don't you think?
you got butthurted on the "anti-linux" topic and wanted to say something. You know what, yes I don't like it at all. But I try to shut up everytime I wanna say what I think about it. But. As you said - you "got sick of anti-linux" things. Everyone notices what he/she wants. You didn't notice anti-Windows talks. I did. And the same as you, I got sick of anti-Windows and anti-MS talk. On the forum dedicated to the OS which by all means is a replication of Windows! It's demotivating. You consider yourself what if I put some of my efforts into that and that here. And then you see this bunch of GNU/idiots "flicking/fighting/replacing MS" (read masturbating on) and you think - yeah, right, is this that audience one would work for, trying to help this project.
And no, I said about current linux GUI. It's ugly and unaesthetic, they haven't managed to devise something unique and nice, always tryna copy Windows or that BlondOS and always it's a fail. and most funny - this thing is highly inefficient neither ergonomically nor resource-wide. It's a CPU hog. The ultimate thing due to what I disliked linux back when I got to know about it was that - its CPU inefficiency. nothing has changed since then. Linux desktop means constant CPU load. I saw even alpha ReactOS does it better. :lol:
Last edited by anthracen on Thu Jul 26, 2018 2:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

GEEZ, and ppl say I am the evil cop here...

Watch your language!