Windows Vista a threat!

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

RJARRRPCGP2000

Windows Vista a threat!

Post by RJARRRPCGP2000 »

What about DirectX 10? It appears that we're SFOL! :evil:
PUOjACKz

Post by PUOjACKz »

Windows Vista is not a threat. We have discuss, in the forums of Punto Informatico, that, probably, this OS will be another failure as WinME has been before. We call this problem "Millenium Failure Syndrome", due to the fact that the new OS has nothing new. All the main features has been all canceled.
Z98
Release Engineer

Post by Z98 »

DirectX 10 is also a program. Just like DirectX 9. Even if it's only for Vista, that doesn't mean a future version of ReactOS won't be Vista-compatible.
Ferret-Simpson

Post by Ferret-Simpson »

I can't see card manufacturers seriously taking up on DX10 in the near future. Vista is not going to be popular enough for the next two years to make it worthwhile. Most people WILL just stay with XP.
oiaohm

Post by oiaohm »

Vista is not a threat. Side project all ready pulling it a part to copy its API include Direct X 10.

Note web page Windows XP and 2003 current working on cloning to that level its less than 10 percent more to Vista. Changes are not as big in Vista as they first appear. Microsoft droped almost all the big changes.

Now if Vista still had stuff like WinFS is might be some what hard to get up to the next level. Because the unlaying filesystem whould have to support it.
Ged
Developer

Post by Ged »

We are already implementing Vista API's.
Vista isn't going unoticed.
Last edited by Ged on Sat Sep 02, 2006 12:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
frik85
Developer

Post by frik85 »

oiaohm wrote:Now if Vista still had stuff like WinFS is might be some what hard to get up to the next level. Because the unlaying filesystem whould have to support it.
WinFS is dead. And it was "just" an an addition to NTFS. You will be able to use an NTFS driver (as every other filesystem driver) in ReactOS soon.
PUOjACKz

Post by PUOjACKz »

oiaohm wrote:Now if Vista still had stuff like WinFS is might be some what hard to get up to the next level. Because the unlaying filesystem whould have to support it.
WinFS has been canceled few months ago. The new feature of Vista is Aero™ itself.
oiaohm

Post by oiaohm »

Aero is just a graphical toolkit. No major driver changes really required.

High level alterations are not a problem. Major kernel alterations require more skilled people to fix. You can find 100's of programmers in the class to build Aero. Finding 1 to do a kernel alteration can be completely impossiable.

Xml format for display creation is old this has been done by Firefox and Gtk for many years. So fragments that Aero base could be aquired from else where.

Microsoft with Aero is just catching up on ten years of Xml work.

Basicly Aero is nothing more than windows dressing. Most of the more complex features they droped.
Z98
Release Engineer

Post by Z98 »

And not a lot of us care about Aero to begin with. I doubt a high school or a company would drop the money to get the graphics cards needed to fully take advantage of Aero. ReactOS is incredibly small, which helps matters greatly.
geertvdijk

Post by geertvdijk »

Z98 wrote:And not a lot of us care about Aero to begin with. I doubt a high school or a company would drop the money to get the graphics cards needed to fully take advantage of Aero. ReactOS is incredibly small, which helps matters greatly.
But on the other side, many companies and schools will eventually have Aero, because it is one of the new functions of Vista, and all retail Vista-pc's will have Aero enabled. New Windows pc's will be designed to run Aero... And, it does not take that much money to get a DX9.0c compatible gfx these days anyway... My dads pc has one, and I built his pc 2 years ago...
-graey-
Z98
Release Engineer

Post by Z98 »

I don't dispute that. However, I seriously doubt major organizations will upgrade their existing systems to Vista just because of Aero. And the barebones systems that schools can actually afford will likely be set to the standard interface. Ah, budget problems. Sadly enough, that might be what puts off Vista purchases of any kind.
Matthias

Post by Matthias »

Z98 wrote:I don't dispute that. However, I seriously doubt major organizations will upgrade their existing systems to Vista just because of Aero.
Well, they won't. Vista doesn't require a DirectX 9 compatible graphics card.
geertvdijk

Post by geertvdijk »

Z98 wrote:I don't dispute that. However, I seriously doubt major organizations will upgrade their existing systems to Vista just because of Aero. And the barebones systems that schools can actually afford will likely be set to the standard interface. Ah, budget problems. Sadly enough, that might be what puts off Vista purchases of any kind.
No, but they will since sooner or later, Windows Vista-only software will become available.
The .net Framework 3.0, as WinFX is now known as, is/will be available for XP. But I doubt about 4.0, I don't think that's going to happen for 4.0 as well...
-graey-
Yann64

Post by Yann64 »

geertvdijk wrote:No, but they will since sooner or later, Windows Vista-only software will become available.
The .net Framework 3.0, as WinFX is now known as, is/will be available for XP. But I doubt about 4.0, I don't think that's going to happen for 4.0 as well...
Already time to think about more collaboration with the Mono project (or another .Net Framework compatible project)? :)