ReactOS liveCD not working

Moderators: elhoir, HUMA2000

Jellymaster2

ReactOS liveCD not working

Post by Jellymaster2 »

After discovering this like a week ago I downloaded this a couple days ago and last night I had someone pick me up some CD's and I burned the LiveCD to take a look at it.

When trying this with my Desktop computer(Currently dual-booting Ubuntu 7.04 FF & Windows XP Home)the screen says "Press any key to boot into the CD." but once I do the screen stays black. I then tried to boot into the CD on my laptop(HP Pavilion ze2000) and it did the same thing.

Did the CD somehow get burned wrong? I've never had a problem burning other OS CD's I burned it with Nero.
Mrkaras

Post by Mrkaras »

Probably not, the reactos live CD is very picky on hardware at the moment, although some real hardware testing is good, you should conceder that it only relay runs on virtual hardware (VMware for example).
Z98
Release Engineer

Post by Z98 »

LiveCD is broken intentionally right now.
Jellymaster2

Post by Jellymaster2 »

Ok well I tried the ReactOS Installer on the Microsoft Virtual PC 2007 but that didn't work out I think it installed but it would never boot into it(the screen stayed black upon boot). I was curious if it was the Virtual PC itself so i booted up Slax and fedora and those were working.
Z98
Release Engineer

Post by Z98 »

VPC's video system has an issue that our video driver currently cannot compensate for. If you want to work through a virtual system, use either VMware Server or QEMU. Both are free.
aicommander
Developer

Post by aicommander »

FYI: The livecd's should be fixed now.
paul

Post by paul »

Tried livecd-31108-dbg.iso on real hardware.
Go up to Desktop screen (were a message that it was not able to verify NTFS (probably Windows installed)). But once there, the keyboard don't react (no led change). And the mouse does not react either. So I had to use reset button.

Was a long time (months?) since last time I tried ReactOS.
Guennie1568

Post by Guennie1568 »

paul wrote:Tried livecd-31108-dbg.iso on real hardware.
Go up to Desktop screen (were a message that it was not able to verify NTFS (probably Windows installed)). But once there, the keyboard don't react (no led change). And the mouse does not react either. So I had to use reset button.

Was a long time (months?) since last time I tried ReactOS.
ROS cannot read NTFS partitions and ROS cannot use USB hardware. What's yours?
Guennie1568
ROS-Fan und X2Pandora Audioeditor
paul

Post by paul »

This is a P5GZ-MX with a 30GB PATA HD, and a DVD burner, with 2.66GHz Celeron.
I think it saw (tought it was trying to mount) my Windows XP (NTFS partition) because there was a message about NTFS while booting.
Guennie1568

Post by Guennie1568 »

I think, ROS has a disk scanner (read MBR) who can find all partitions of a disk. But there is no driver to mount other partitions like FAT32
Guennie1568
paul

Post by paul »

I made a small experiment.
I have disconnected hard drive and made the DVD drive Master.
Same result as before: going up to the desktop screen but keyboard and mouse not responding at all (not even leds).
The message about unable to verify a NTFS volume had gone however.

I checked with 0.3.3-REL.iso and it goes fine.
This make me think I should try the (not debug) version of last daily build, in case problem is with dbg version only.
Haos
Test Team

Post by Haos »

Its not probable but who knows. You would need to get another PC and connect both serial ports with null modem, to collect the debug output. This would show us what is the problem.
paul

Post by paul »

I tried the release version with no improvements.
It is very hard for me to debug that way, because I have no other computer, and no null-modem.
GT4GTR

Re: ReactOS liveCD not working

Post by GT4GTR »

Jellymaster2 wrote:After discovering this like a week ago I downloaded this a couple days ago and last night I had someone pick me up some CD's and I burned the LiveCD to take a look at it.

When trying this with my Desktop computer(Currently dual-booting Ubuntu 7.04 FF & Windows XP Home)the screen says "Press any key to boot into the CD." but once I do the screen stays black. I then tried to boot into the CD on my laptop(HP Pavilion ze2000) and it did the same thing.

Did the CD somehow get burned wrong? I've never had a problem burning other OS CD's I burned it with Nero.
I get the same problem, probably a hardware incompatability
Guennie1568

Post by Guennie1568 »

Hi

This is a problem with the actual display driver. It doesn't like shared memory.
Build in a extra graphics card and deactivate shared memory in your BIOS so you will have a picture on your screen. Some modern graphics cards use its own memory AND shared memory together, but ROS don't like shared memory so you will have this problem with any cards who use this.

Can anybody write this in the faq? It is boring to write the same every time.
Guennie1568