/DEBUGPORT=SCREEN works, requires /MININT on liveCD

All development related issues welcome

Moderator: Moderator Team

Mna.

/DEBUGPORT=SCREEN works, requires /MININT on liveCD

Post by Mna. »

Hi,

Only nearly a month ago, (now I can't remember those build numbers),
booting livecd with /DEBUGPORT=SCREEN works, I mean ReactOS successfully loads and runs,
at least on real hardware.

But now it doesn't work, not on real hardware, not in VMware, nowhere!

Now, ROS starts OK when booting with /DEBUGPORT=COM1
but doesn't start with /DEBUGPORT=SCREEN !

//Could someone retest this?
===
UPD.: Changed the subject line: It was working. But LiveCD always requires /MININT key as kernel parameter
Last edited by Mna. on Mon Mar 28, 2011 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
vicmarcal
Test Team

Re: /DEBUGPORT=SCREEN is broken??

Post by vicmarcal »

This is a nice place to ask for retesting, but you should report to our Bugzilla too, as our Official Testers ad Devs usually looks Bugzilla more than Forum.
Also try to find (via Vmware) in which revision it stopped working. Use a Binary search to find it:
Binary search
Mna.

Post by Mna. »

I know what is binary search.)

But when tried to find latest working version with VMware it turns out I can't find such simple one.
Will try later with real hardware since 1. I remember that number for R.H. and 2. frankly hardware is much more important for me

PS Just wondering (rhetorically) do ROS people live in virtual world to use only virtual machines?...
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

Real hw is completely different all the time and vms are not. This is the reason of using a vm.
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

If my post/reply offends or insults you, be sure that you know what sarcasm is...
Mna.

Post by Mna. »

I see... ReactOS is way too weak to swim in the ocean of real hardware, and that is why it is only swimming in indoor swimming pool with kickboard and under coach supervision
vicmarcal
Test Team

Post by vicmarcal »

Mna. wrote:I see... ReactOS is way too weak to swim in the ocean of real hardware, and that is why it is only swimming in indoor swimming pool with kickboard and under coach supervision
It is called development.
As you know how "development os" is done, i won't give you a link :)
Mna.

Post by Mna. »

> As you know how "development os" is done, i won't give you a link :)
Did you mean something like "Revolution OS" movie? :)

In fact I'd read some part of "linux device drivers" book, particularly how pressing special buttons on stalled machine brings some info about crush - this doesn't require serial cable
I think this functionality would be very useful for ROS, now, but at least I need working SCREEN debugport, to be sure the similar thing would work with buttons.

My this machine hasn't serial port, and I can't add it, so I can't debug "the main ROS crush"
hto
Developer

Post by hto »

Mna., try to find the bug yourself. ;)
Mna.

Post by Mna. »

Mna., try to find the bug yourself. ;)
That's much easier for me as I'm such kind of person.)

Well,
I realized I need some debugging tips help.

The problem is that ROS doesn't react on tab+k so I can't stop it before crush occurs. And trace further.

How this key could be enabled or the problem circumvented other way?
Haos
Test Team

Post by Haos »

@Mna

ReactOS can swim on real hardware just fine, but very often this task is beyond scope of usual tester want-to-be, especially if that one had no previous experience with testing ReactOS. Using VM allows a nice transition period to catch up with quite steep learning curve. If one wishes to do something new and go for hardware testing, we are all happy about it.

On the other hand, real hardware testing requires additional equipment as well as more work to get it done.

We are always here or on irc to help out anyone determined to proceed with testing our system.
hto
Developer

Post by hto »

The problem is that ROS doesn't react on tab+k so I can't stop it before crush occurs. And trace further.

How this key could be enabled or the problem circumvented other way?
It looks like this known bug. Maybe you can help to fix it?

Can you reproduce these bugs in QEMU? It allows to attach a debugger (GDB) to it.
Mna.

Post by Mna. »

ReactOS can swim on real hardware just fine,
I disagree, reactos is fine only for virtual machines.
Since it's tested and run only there. these are closely linked concerns: it works where it tested, and it is tested on where it works.
but very often this task is beyond scope of usual tester want-to-be, especially if that one had no previous experience with testing ReactOS.

What could I say, I'm not going to be only tester and I had previous experience working, I mean fixing bugs of, ROS nearly in 2000,
but now I see it's on the same place, and even more far from making it run, on Real hardware, just run, possibly with bugs.
Using VM allows a nice transition period to catch up with quite steep learning curve.
I see. that's ok. but this is just intermediate aim. The main aim is to run ROS on real hardware.
If one wishes to do something new and go for hardware testing, we are all happy about it.
I'm for ROS on hardware
On the other hand, real hardware testing requires additional equipment as well as more work to get it done.
If you mean null-modem cable and second machine for it, I have it, and that all can't help me to test any modern notebook, they just has no any serial port.
So we need new ways to get logger work, other types of "hardware logging".

Here I outlined/compared cabling options of WinDBG and ROS KDB debuggers:
http://www.reactos.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=8795
The only one ROS supported is yet serial cable.
We are always here or on irc to help out anyone determined to proceed with testing our system.
Here in forum I get guaranteed answers, I mean answers are coming. Not the option in IRC,
On the other hand when IRC people help, sometimes it is very fast help.
So I appreciate both options :)
Mna.

Post by Mna. »

Reading the debugger (kdbg) source code I've found SCREEN logger debugging possibility,
and described it on wiki.
here: http://www.reactos.org/wiki/Debugging#A ... bug_logger
Wow! :)
Z98
Release Engineer

Post by Z98 »

To suggest that ROS is only tested in virtual machines is rather disingenuous to the several testers that consistently run regression test on real hardware. As Haos is one of them, I'd say he knows what he's talking about when he says ROS can work on real hardware.
Mna.

Post by Mna. »

To suggest that ROS is only tested in virtual machines
Z98, please don't try to embroil us, nobody said about "only tested". My point was "mainly"
And I'm speaking about what I see: ROS works in VM almost always, in the same time rare real machine could get such luck.
And the same configuration of hardware could occasionally break to work, or even boot up. (as with the bug of this topic)
As Haos is one of them, I'd say he knows what he's talking about when he says ROS can work on real hardware.
That's good, but I haven't ever said it can't. Even at times when it really couldn't :)
In year 2000 it requires to deeply debug the code, find bugs, correct them, and voila, you get the Blue screen :)

My current "ROS workability index" is almost 2/4, http://www.reactos.org/forum/viewtopic. ... 780#p76828
i.e. 2 machines of my 4 boot up almost OK with ReactOS, so I'm *pretty sure* it works.
(almost Ok because of HDD problems, one - ATA and second - SATA)

What about we are speaking about here, at least I tend to, that is about RH debugging difficulties.
And these difficulties have such structure, it is very problematic to debug real hardware that has no serial port.
that is why I need SCREEN debugport, and now, SCREEN debugport is broken.

Any suggestions?

I have even found a guy/company that had produced (only one on the planet?!) the SDIO<->Serial port cable adapter,
http://mdatabg.com/index.php?page=SDRS&lang=en
it could make possible to emulate serial port through SDcard slot (What adapter mainly does, it converts synchronous serial signal(SDIO) to asynchronous(RS232 standard)). And it would be very useful, as would allow debug almost every laptop, SD card is very popular on them - a radical solution! well, that way would require some "real programming" too... to deal with SDcard pci interface. anyway...
But, unfortunately I didn't get any answer from MData Systems of mdatabg.com
So well main topic here let will be SCREEN debugport