Recruiting

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

PurpleGurl

Recruiting

Post by PurpleGurl »

In another thread (Google Trends), the conversation started to go towards recruiting more volunteers, developers, etc. So I figured it was time to start such a thread. I would love to hear the ideas on how we can do this.

An idea I see is that those hosting a site or a blog could put in a plug on their site describing what Reactos is, how they can help, and a link to this site. For instance, I am part of a demographic which is known for computer engineers and developers, and since I host blogs for that community, it probably wouldn't hurt to write about it on the blogs, even though this would technically be OT on my blogs.

Discussing the Reactos project in message boards would be good too, I think. For instance, Topix is a news discussion site which doubles as social media. Users, even unregistered users, can start threads on almost any topic. I hang out in the Offbeat section where the main topic is odd news (stuff like "Man Bites Dog," "Copper Thief Attempts to Steal Live Wires," "Wanted Man Gets Job in Police Station," etc). Now, folks create about any type of thread they want there, and moderators are okay with it. Of course, if there is a Science & Technology or Computers section, I am sure it would be more appropriate. The main thing with Topix is just to put something decent on there. I mean, don't spam, don't defame anyone, and avoid flaming. So if you use message boards where it is appropriate to post about Reactos and particularly where developer types hang out, then it might be good to put in a plug.

We could discuss Reactos with friends, but depending on the audience, that might not be as productive. In a casual setting, this might be a nice story, but unless they are technically inclined, that would be about all. I am sure a number of people who use Windows would like an Open Source alternative. I for one am used to doing "perpetual PC upgrades." I mean, I am not one to build new machines unless I have to, so I tend to upgrade as I need more capabilities or when something breaks (and replacing tends to give you better devices than you had, and other times, it forces you to upgrade other things too). That was fine and dandy before Windows XP. Now, if you perform more than so many upgrades, you are forced to purchase a new copy of Windows. The activation also makes me more reluctant to go to Windows 7 because if I put it on this machine, I cannot put it on another, and I don't intend to keep using this one, as nice as it is. And if I build a new one, I will be forced to install a new OS, even if I use it solely.

So I would love to use Reactos so I could have the freedom to put it on any machine I want without activation headaches, and to be able to upgrade my machine as I want, as many times as I want. I am sure others want that freedom. Loading speed is another thing that others want, and we are pretty robust there (though I imagine that will slow some as we gain capabilities). Theme support will be a plus down the road, since I imagine we could load custom themes without requiring signed themes or unofficial OS patches.

Any other ways we could interest people into helping with this project?
forart

Re: Recruiting

Post by forart »

As I have done in the past (with some interesting results), seems that the best recruiting way is to mail 3rd party free and open source (but even shareware and commercial, why not ?) software developers in order to ask them to at least test their products under ReactOS.

Many will respond that they never heard of ROS and someone will join.

At least this is my past experience.
»Forward Agency NPO
In progress we (always) trust.
Murmur

Post by Murmur »

Well the issue with ROS is that things need to be done in stages.

1. The website needs to be fixed / updated : This is important because it will make us look more professional and it is easier to try to recruit a web designer than someone who does programing on an OS.

2. Project information updates: We need to update the information of what we need done, the best list I have seen for something like this is... http://www.reactos.org/wiki/Google_Summ ... 2011_Ideas
but we need to list all the things we need and prioritize it from high / med / low so that it will be easier for new people to pick up a project instead of fumbling around and not sure what to do.

3. Advertise : I think there is not enough information out there yet about ROS. We need to focusing some advertisement to developers (not average users or business yet) by making some technical videos (youtube?), news sites (slashdot, redit) and showing some behind the scenes and why ROS is the future...A slogan would be good too but make it so its slightly professional so if we do market for business in the future our slogan isn't "Free as in free beer" because as much as I love beer its hard to pass that off as business like.

4. Recruit : Places that would be good to post are sites recruiting 3rd party coders sites, news websites (slashdot, redit), university and colleges.

I wish to assist with this so if anyone wants to talk to me about it, feel free.
Last edited by Murmur on Tue Aug 16, 2011 5:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Haos
Test Team

Post by Haos »

From what i experienced, there are many visitors, stating their will to help out with ReactOS coding. Unfortunately, 95% of them never show back, most likely after looking into ReactOS source.
Murmur

Post by Murmur »

#2 will help with that

It really does not matter if 95% of people leave because say 100 people pop in then at least we have 5 that stayed and that is 5 more than we had.
vicmarcal
Test Team

Post by vicmarcal »

One problem is that a "dev" or a "skilled user" doesnt know "how" and "where" to begin. "How" is explained in the Wiki, but the "Where" and not having a defined target is the main problem, from my pov.
The list with small tasks to be done can help. Totally agree with Murmur.
sh4ring4n

Post by sh4ring4n »

Just remember this about recruiting someone: http://theoatmeal.com/comics/sell_generation :lol:
The cake is a lie!
Murmur

Post by Murmur »

vicmarcal wrote:One problem is that a "dev" or a "skilled user" doesnt know "how" and "where" to begin. "How" is explained in the Wiki
also the wiki is a mess right now so a reason is very important as a first step to organize our thoughts and put it all together in a clear way.
Last edited by Murmur on Sat Jun 18, 2011 3:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
PurpleGurl

Post by PurpleGurl »

Murmur wrote:also the wiki is a mess right now so a resign is very important as a first step to organize our thoughts and put it all together in a clear way.
So you are saying that site design and organization should be the first order of business?
Murmur

Post by Murmur »

PurpleGurl wrote:
Murmur wrote:also the wiki is a mess right now so a resign is very important as a first step to organize our thoughts and put it all together in a clear way.
So you are saying that site design and organization should be the first order of business?
You don't start building a house on the roof, you need to lay the foundation first.

It won't be that hard to entice people to join up when we get our ducks in a row because of how far the project has come (like the fact it can boot into a gui and run binary programs) we just need to make it accessible and make it seem worth it.

I would even go so far that a discussion should go on about changing the name or just dropping the OS part, people don't say WindowsOS or UbuntuOS. It can be just React but react on its own sounds a bit odd IMO without the OS part ...but there are other more important issues than worrying about that right now.

It would be nice though to see some response to this...
PurpleGurl

Post by PurpleGurl »

Murmur wrote:You don't start building a house on the roof, you need to lay the foundation first.

It won't be that hard to entice people to join up when we get our ducks in a row because of how far the project has come (like the fact it can boot into a gui and run binary programs) we just need to make it accessible and make it seem worth it.

I would even go so far that a discussion should go on about changing the name or just dropping the OS part, people don't say WindowsOS or UbuntuOS. It can be just React but react on its own sounds a bit odd IMO without the OS part ...but there are other more important issues than worrying about that right now.

It would be nice though to see some response to this...
I think Reactos is fine as a name. I say it as "Reactows" like "Windows." I don't pronounce the OS part as "O-S." So it is easy to say that way.

I like how far the project seems to be moving now. I've watched the trunk, and while most of that is stability issues for now, the branches look very promising. I will be glad when the USB stuff becomes stable. As it stands, it locks up real hardware for most unless they disable the ports. It seems like an oversight to include it in that broken a shape. But the branch work on it looks great.
Murmur

Post by Murmur »

PurpleGurl wrote:
I think Reactos is fine as a name. I say it as "Reactows" like "Windows." I don't pronounce the OS part as "O-S." So it is easy to say that way.
By saying the name in slang tells you that there is an issue with the name. I mean I personally don't care about the name and think it sounds alright I just understand where there might be marketing issues with it in the future. Though I say again, not a major issue and something that should be put on a back burner to think about.
Aeneas

Post by Aeneas »

I'd say you recruit devs the same way you "recruit" girls, economists, mercenaries... you go where they are and tell them why they should come to you. Of 100, maybe 2 or 3 will be interested (now, that is the tough part - NOT to get frustrated at all but just to continue). So, if you address 1000 people, you will likely double the count of developers. WHERE to start, and particularly WHETHER to start, is the decision of the ReactOS project leadership, the execution of the task itself should pose no more difficulties than, say, a series of "party conversations". - I think the "fear to fail" is really something to be shaken off when doing this, and that it is time - indeed, was time years ago - to just do that. I would start up conversations, either on campus (if I were a student) or on web fora for IT people.
PurpleGurl

Post by PurpleGurl »

Murmur wrote:
By saying the name in slang tells you that there is an issue with the name. I mean I personally don't care about the name and think it sounds alright I just understand where there might be marketing issues with it in the future. Though I say again, not a major issue and something that should be put on a back burner to think about.
I thought that was the correct pronunciation - Re-ac-toes. :D I wasn't thinking it was slang. Of course, you could add an E and make it sound like a type of sugar - Glucose, ribose, fructose, Reactose.

Now, I feel such debates are not all that constructive. For instance, trying to give ARWINSS a different name, when that is merely a private component of Reactos which will be used until the Win32 code can be improved upon. I don't see the point in naming it and making logos for it. It is just a tool for getting Reactos compatible with more software in a shorter time by creating a wrapper to get proven Windows-similar code to work. I feel that the energy being used to debate names and stuff can be put to better use. And yes, I understand that most discussing the names are not developers. But, some of us who are not to that level yet *could* learn and direct our energies there. That is on-topic because the idea is to get more people helping, so even if we get existing people on-board to direct their energies to more crucial areas, it would help satisfy the goals of the topic at hand.

Now, one thing that comes to mind is how do we help prevent "poisoning the well?" I mean, what do we do about negative sentiments? Obviously, in some cases, the thing to do is to share the truth. I read some misinformation 2 days ago, where someone on some site criticized the notion that we are trying to be compatible with Windows 2003 and saying that was inconsistent, since 2003 is a server OS, and the stuff we are doing is desktop work. I think they misunderstood that it is core compatibility with 2003 that we are after, not that we are only targeting a server market. The interface itself is currently close to XP. But misunderstandings about who it is for, the amount of progress we've made, or its real world relevance may turn some off from helping. Articles like "Reactos is No Threat to Windows" are no help, since they may give the impression we are a dying project. We might be "stunted" by some people's standards, but we are still growing, and certainly not dying.
Murmur

Post by Murmur »

I have been trying to tell you that the name change is not something we need to worry about now twice so it would be nice if you could keep on the main issue here.

The whole "poisoned" comments are the reason why ROS needs to advertise and I suggested that we put some news out before we try to recruit in an organized manor.