Google Summer of Code 2006
ReactOS takes part in Google's Summer of Code, a project which sponsors students working on OpenSource Software with 4,500 USD.
Please note that this a private wikipage only for the SoC mentors to edit and which may be subject to changes. If you are not sure about a idea or if you think something should be removed please use the Discussion Page.
- Windows-compatible network card drivers for the following:
- Nvidia Nforce
- Network Everywhere/Linksys NC100
- Etherlink 3c905/959 (Steven has a 3c905-TX card he can send you if you don't have one)
- Develop (improve, finish) our Windows XP/2003 compatible USB Stack, notably to fix compatibility problems and add 2.0 support.
- Fix any outstanding bugs in our NPFS (Named Pipe File System) driver and work on a more advanced version of the WINE NPFS Test Suite to fully test and verify it.
- Winlogon/GINA. Develop an actual login implementation in ReactOS, by improving the current WinLogon code and creating a GINA. Documentation is avalable on MSDN and through the following GPL GINA project: http://pgina.xpasystems.com/
- Explorer enhancements (look for Alex's 0.3.0 'User Wow Factor' Ideas stuff, plus other explorer enhancements to make it more like windows, look in Roadmap for references). Going over the shell32/shlwapi code and implementing any missing windows functionality.
- Clipboard. Complete implementation of a Windows-compatible clipboard. Currently ReactOS has none at all
- Your choice of one of the following working, Windows/DDK-compatible IFS Drivers:
- Sound architecture in ReactOS (having Windows XP/2003 sound architecture as a reference). Since this is a massive project to undertake, the current priority is on the WDMAUD.DRV/WDMAUD.SYS interface. The NT4 MMDRV.DRV sample will help, as well as some Audio Architecture information available on MSDN and some slides which we can provide. Furthermore, some work has already been done on the libraries, and one of our developers can provide clean-room documentation for it.
- Code a Direct3D 9 compatible dll working under Windows (not a wrapper that calls OpenGL). We already have much HEL (Emulation Layer) functionality included but are lacking the HAL code and Kernel-Mode interface
- Develop the "Workstation" service for basic SMB support, or the SMB Redirector driver for kernel-mode support. Sample code is available in the Windows 2003 IFS Kit.
- Develop the "Spooler" service for basic printer support.
- UXTheme support. Implementing a working uxtheme.dll that is compatible with Windows and provides Theming support. If time permits, develop a compatible "Themes" service which provides the same interface as on Windows. WINE already provides a basic uxtheme.dll file, which may or may not need fixing to be compatible on Windows, so work on it might be minimal, with most of the focus going towards the Themes service.
- Implement a MMC 2.0 replacement, that can be used in ReactOS to load MMC-plugins, which are XML files.
- Any windows application you might want to "clone" (=develop an alternative, FOSS implementation).
- Remote Desktop client application and ActiveX control by Michele Cicciotti, mentored by Alex Ionescu
- ReactOS Print Spooler Service (Spoolsv) by Peter Windridge, mentored by Alex Ionescu
- Login System by Justin Haygood, mentored by Thomas Weidenmueller
- Clipboard Server API Implementation by Pablo Anibal Borobia, mentored by Thomas Weidenmueller
These links which might help you to write a successful application.
- HOWTO: Write a Summer of Code application from Drupal
- Accepted applications from different projects collected by XWiki
- Organization information and projects being worked on
- Summer of Code 2006 timeline
For any inquiries, additional ideas or suggestions, please mail one of our two mentors: