User:Alex Ionescu/Alex's 0.3.0 'User Wow Factor' Ideas
|This page is a candidate for speedy deletion|
If you disagree with its speedy deletion, please explain why on its talk page.
Watch also the Criteria for speedy deletion!
Here are some totally non-technical (or easy to implement) ideas to make ReactOS much more user-friendly, even if only on the surface:
- Ship with FreeLDR timeout set to 0.
NTLDR theme as default. FreeLDR is both ugly, overly-confusing for true newbies, and makes booting seem longer.
Boot at 800x600 instead of 640x480. Fallback if impossible. Or let user choose from a dropdown list.
- Prettify the Wizard a bit: Use Windows XP-styled Wizard (all that's needed is the large backdrop app, the dialog can stay on top)
- Disable or hide non-functional buttons on the Wizard. It's confusing/depressing/frowned upon to see buttons to choose the keyboard layout on the wizard and see they do nothing when you click on them.
First Boot and forward
Boot with a nice desktop wallpaper (maybe of the users choose like in Windows Vista)... something really catchy.
- Boot with a readme file on the desktop, as well as icons for My Computer, My Network Places, Recycle Bin and IBrowser icon. They should all open the appropriate shell namespace.
Support adding new shortcuts to the desktop.
- Use a CONSISTENT ICON SET! Use Tango until mf's icons are ready. Make startmenu 24x24.
- Use a hack to Center taskbar buttons until activation contexts work right.
- Support transparent text labels for desktop icons.
- Have a working network panel!