[ros-dev] PowerPC arcitecture?

Quandary ai2097 at yahoo.com
Sat Jun 4 13:29:45 CEST 2005

On Sat, Jun 04, 2005 at 12:03:48PM -0500, Rick
Langschultz wrote:

> I use Outlook XP to compose mail to my boss and to a
support team. I
> have to use HTML formatting in my mail messages.
Sorry for the
> inconvenience I have caused. If people want to get
picky about the mail
> format and not the content of the message, they
should re-evaluate their
> purposes involved in developing code, and material
for computers.

If you've ever tried to read an XML/HTML message in a
plain-text reader
(such as mutt, which is my client of choice), you
would understand why
folks complain.

To draw an analogy as to how silly your claim is (that
the formatting
should be ignored completely), consider the following
scenarios:

1. A huge C program that works, but has no comments
and obfuscated code.
   "If you can't understand it without comments, you
should re-evaluate
   your programming ability."

2. A patch that has thousands of formatting changes
intermixed with
   bugfixes.
   "If you can't appreciate the functionality of a
freely offered patch
   that seems to fix a bug, you should re-evaluate
your stance as a
   community-based project."

3. Documentation provided in rendered PS (or another
opaque format).
   "If you can't appreciate the accuracy and
user-friendliness of the
   documentation, you should re-evaluate your position
on having a
   well-documented system."

See, these are all silly. It's easy for one side to
just ignore the
other -- yes, you may need whatever formatting HTML
provides you for
work correspondence; it's easy for you to forget that
it's even there.
Likewise, it's easy for those of us who edit and send
raw text to ignore
how engrained HTML can be in some mail front-ends. But
at the end of the
day, the lowest common denominator is plain-text --
and that's something
folks will expect you to conform to.

Just like a patch with a thousand formatting changes,
now matter how
many bugs it fixes, it will be rejected. So to with
your mails -- no
matter how good the merit is, if we have to mind-parse
the gibberish,
it's just going to be outright rejected.

Thanks for understanding,

-- Travis