[ros-dev] Pissoff hotlix

Oliver Schneider Borbarad at gmxpro.net
Tue Jun 28 00:53:07 CEST 2005

Thanks. Currently reading ;)

> * You agree to turn over your first-born child to
>   Evil NiteLite inc.
ROFLMAO! :-D

> Well, that's how BSD works everywhere. That's how
> companys can sub-license it into their own code, and
> that's how the GPL works with it, too.
>
> An excerpt
> <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BSD_and_GPL_licensing>
>
> Traditionally, Linux associated software is licensed
> under the GPL, whilst BSD derivatives often use the
> BSD license. Code licensed under the BSD license can
> be relicensed under the GPL (the BSD license is said
> to be "GPL-compatible") without securing the consent
> of all original authors; but code under the GPL cannot
> be relicensed under the BSD license without securing
> the consent of all original authors, as the BSD
> license does not necessarily require the source code
> to be again freely available.
This is what I know already. That's why code from Linux will never be used
in the BSD derivatives.

> See GPL section 2.b:
> You must cause any work that you distribute or
> publish, that in whole or in part contains or is
> derived from the Program or any part thereof,
>
> *to be licensed as a whole
>
> (at no charge to all third parties)
>
> under the terms of this License.*
>
> (emphasis mine)
>
> The whole thing. Including your BSD code. ALL of it
> has to be licensed as GPL to be distributed.
Okay, I understand the text, but I cannot understand how someone (the
project using GPL as their license) can take away a right (to use the code
freely under the terms of the BSDL) from me or my licensees.

The point here is not what is written in the GPL as I did not put my code
under GPL. Furthermore "*sub*licensing" sounds to me as if the BSDL does not
lose its validity through the "process" of sublicensing. It sounds to me as
if the GPL - which offers only a subset of the rights I granted the
licensees by BSDLing my code - is just relevant in the context of the
project but does not touch the rights granted to users (by me) of the
particular used (BSDLed) modules.

Still reading ... so some of my above prejudices may be gone after it.

I would surely enjoy personal email conversation with you ;) ... because I
suspect that the other list members may perhaps be bored from this
discussion (already).

Cheers,

Oliver