[ros-dev] Roadmap I'm sticking to

Ged Murphy gedmurphy at gmail.com
Fri Apr 9 12:38:05 CEST 2010

No, you can't tell people what to do. However, we should be able to get
together as a team and discuss what's really important for the project, lay
down some common goals and deliver them.

It's nice to have an acpi battery module, or digital video broadcasting
support, or a new isapnp driver, but what are we actually gaining from this
as a project? What we really need is a stable win32k, we need a shell that
doesn't belong in the dark ages, we need USB, we need to be able to run apps
without bringing the whole OS down to its knees.

As a group of intelligent people, we should be able to discuss what's really
important, prioritize the work and commit to doing it. We all surely have
the same goal, to see reactos become usable and valuable to the public, so
why can't we work towards this as a team??

It's all well and good being a project that allows people to work on
whatever they want, but when that work ethic is essentially killing the
project, you have to wonder if it's the best way of doing things.

What's taken the fun out of reactos is that people work on what they want,
and that's usually unimportant things. I want to see an operating system
mature and become usable but our current eithic of "work on whatever the
hell you want to" is killing the project.

Open source sucks for this exact reason, there's no real management, no
structure and no goals. Hence 99% of open source project fail. The only open
source projects which do succeed have management, structure and goals and
not this "Anyone can work on whatever the hell they want to".

Ged.