[ros-dev] Roadmap I'm sticking to

Peter Millerchip peter.millerchip at gmail.com
Fri Apr 9 13:22:37 CEST 2010

I'm just a lurker but I wanted to respond to Ged - I hope that's ok!

The "work on what you want" ethic works well for lots of open source
projects, and I can see it starting to work well for ReactOS too. The
way I see it (i.e. from an outsider's point of view), ReactOS's
management structure is slowly changing into a something more
successful like Linux's. I'll explain what I mean below.

Linux is successful as an open-source operating system project because
Linus Torvalds works on whatever the hell he wants to, which is "his"
version of the kernel. He accepts patches he likes, and refuses ones
he doesn't. He doesn't care what other people work on, but if they
send him nice patches he'll incorporate them. People use Linus's
kernel because it's good and high quality.

The analogous situation here is arwinss, which for us is (roughly)
equivalent to the Linux kernel. Aleksey works on it just because he
wants to - it's his "do whatever the hell you want" project. Gabriel
Ilardi then acts as a rough equivalent of a distro like Ubuntu - he
takes Aleksey's arwinss, packages it up with various other ReactOS
bits and pieces and makes nice ISOs of it for people to download.

This kind of work ethic is what has made Linux into a successful
project, and I see no reason why it won't make ReactOS successful too.
Aleksey's roadmap is where he says "hey, this is what I'm going to do,
help me if you find it fun to help". And that is GOOD, that's how
Linus Torvalds works.

Likewise with Gabriel's ISOs - they work better than the normal
ReactOS ISOs, and that again is good. People have fun making better
"distros" of ReactOS, and that is great for all of us as it pushes the
project forwards.

As a relative outsider to the project, I feel very positive to see
developments like this! I think it shows that ReactOS will be a
success. We should celebrate the "do what you want" ethic, not try to
destroy it!

Pete.