[ros-general] Re: Ok guys...

Martin Fuchs martin-fuchs at gmx.net
Mon Feb 16 11:34:58 UTC 2004

> The inability to move application windows is by design, desktops
> wouldn't count as a "secure object" otherwise. You can move threads
> across desktops, but only as long as they don't have windows and other
> similar things.

Sure. But I would like to be able to implement this feature, so I choose
not to use the CreateDesktop() API.

> About sharing the tray, you could do this by creating a memory mapped
> file or some other kind of shared memory which holds the internal NID
> list. At least if you want to use separate instances of Explorer. If you
> just want a single instance it's easier to share data, but it's more
> difficult to implement the rest. =) You need to create one thread per
> desktop and duplicate all UI elements in all those threads. I have never
> tried to implement this particular scenario, but it appears to be
> possible. Personally I'd go the one-process-per-desktop route with
> shared memory.

Well - this may be possbible. But it sounds a bit complicated.
The approach to hide windows using SW_HIDE or move them somewhere
abroad into non-visibility is simple and effective.

> Note that if you're just after VWM-style functionality, you don't really
> need to use those APIs. What Litestep does is simply moving the windows
> off-screen, for example 10000 pixels to the right. Except for some
> glitches with the recent XP Styles, this has worked fine since '97 or
> '98. I can point you to some GPL'ed implementations if you want; if you
> want to test the binaries go to www.litestep.net, register (requirement
> by the host, we don't complain for $0 hosting), and download the
> installer.

Well, my implementation also works already (if you don't count a few
bugs that are included), so I will leave it this way.

Regards,

  Martin

--
Martin Fuchs