[ros-general] why folks

Enrico Weigelt weigelt at metux.de
Mon Feb 16 22:17:54 UTC 2004

* KJK::Hyperion <noog at libero.it> [2004-02-16 22:46:21 +0100]:

<snip>
> At 16.30 15/02/2004, you wrote:
> >why are you developing a completely new kernel instead of using an
> >existing one like linux or hurd and running reactos just as a subsystem,
> >perhaps with some kernel improvements.
>
> because we feel like it. Each of us for different reasons

I'd like to hear what reasons that are.

> >For example: linux brings very good memory management and filesystem.
>
> (both of which happen to be completely incompatible with those of Windows.

Where are the (conceptional) differences ?

example 1: filesystem
windows also brings an API for filesystem access. it uses \ instead
of / as path delimiter, but most of the functions are quite the same.

example 2: memory mangement
on both systems each process has its own memory range (thats just the
concept of the protected mode) and the application may request more
memory from the kernel, and those memory areas are layign on some address.

win16 had the distinction between "local" and "global" memory - IMHO local
memory will be freed when a task dies, global one doesnt.
does winnt also have this ?

<snip>
> You picked bad examples. The whole of Linux is a bad example of how
> Windows can be implemented)
Why bad example ?
And why implement _Windows_ and not a good system which allows running
old windows applications ?

<snip>
> >So what are the advantages of another own kernel against a subsystem in
> >another host operating system ?
>
> it makes us 63.2% cooler
ah, no rational reason, just for fun.

cu
 Enrico Weigelt    ==   metux IT services

  fax:       +49 36207 519932         email:     contact at metux.de
  cellphone: +49 174 7066481