[ros-general] Booting problem: ROS hangs up after disks check

Kyryll A Mirnenko mirya at ukrpost.net
Sun Feb 22 15:42:24 UTC 2004

  I've tried ROS binaries 0.2.0, but found it hans up after checking
the drives in the blue-screen stage. Binaries're unpacked into
C:\reactos with enough free space (though pagefile takes only 200k),
128M RAM (ROS found only 64M), PII-compartible Celeron.
  Hard disk is the only one in the system and has 3 partitions: FAT32
C:, FAT32 D: and UFS (FreeBSD) hidden from WinME (which is on drive
C:). I've got 2 variants, but can't test them, so need your expert
opinion:

  1). Though ROS hangs up after checking C:, then D:, suppose it's
confused by UFS partition (which is the last in the disk layout).

  2). The HD isn't so old (5 years), but is DMA-less (supports PIO4 max., while
ATAPI v4). The thing that it was critical for my FreeBSD 4.9 kernel,
which panics & reboots the system if not manually configured not to
use DMA (while 4.5 kernel could fall back to PIO mode...).

  So if you know what's the problem or, even more, know the solution,
reply.