[ros-general] Ideas (by Paulo Correa Silva)

Jan Tisje jan.tisje at gmx.de
Mon Feb 23 09:19:55 UTC 2004

Filip Navara <xnavara at volny.cz> schrieb am Sun, 22 Feb 2004 01:47:19 +0100

> As Paulo has problems sending messages to the list, I'm posting his list
> of ideas here myself. So here is the link:
> http://www15.brinkster.com/nitrofurano/reactos/

in general there are some great ideas.
I want to show my opinion...

NGoro
http://www15.brinkster.com/nitrofurano/ngoro/

So, what is the difference to cygwin?
No emulation layer -> much faster?

Does "speed only" allow such an effort?

btw, do you plan to "include" cygwin?

MBulu
http://www15.brinkster.com/nitrofurano/mbulu/

> Maybe all of us got wondered with some hardware performace and quality,
> and got pissed out with its driver quality, [...]
> As well, manufacturers usually lacks deeply on support (except very
> rare cases), they usually don't listen us, or doesn't know how to do it.

yeah. I agree.

> If someone has doubts about the usability of a project like this, here
> are some questions about:
> - is every video driver supporting gamma adjust, rotation (90 degrees)
> and virtual screen modes (like 1280x960 (4x3) from the so weird
> 1280x1024 (5x4)), as well inserting and removing desired screen modes
> from/to a choosable list (a claim to a comfortable usage about
> resolution choice)?
> - is every inkjet printer driver supporting custom halftone patterns
> and postscript output, paging and overlapping (like an A0 drawing into
> several A4 sheets) features?
> - is not so annoying some fancies (which ones some manufacturer's
> drivers insist to put into) only are useful to get your operative
> system unstable, as well with a disastrous interface?

I mostly agree, but how do you plan to do that?
the problem is, that every manufacturere thinks he has to implement such
features again and again.
This always sucks.
All this should be provided by OS, or by 3rd-party-software, like fineprint
does. NOT by drivers.
If you would try to implement it per driver, then you would be forced to
write drivers for every hardware available only to add the standard lib
that does these meta jobs.

btw, you probably could start with a link to the free bt8x8 driver
(don't have the link now)

Chibema (GUI)
well, it is very important, too. but I do not have anything to say now

Great ideas paulo, i would like to hear even more :-)

Jan