[ros-kernel] Re: ReactOS article to be published in Linux Magazine

Jason Filby jasonfilby at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 5 14:11:00 CEST 2004

Hi Steven

Steven Edwards wrote:

>Right I got what you are saying but ReactOS in its current state is
>almost of zero use to rest of the FreeSoftware movement.

The point is that they wanted tips on what we have learnt along our
journey thus far - and how they could apply that to Linux projects.
But
I think that our WINE work may be a better idea since drivers for
ReactOS and drivers for Linux won't share many similarities.

>You have got to think outside the box here. Just saying that ReactOS
is
>supposed to remove the need to rewrite the drivers is not the
answer.
>The vendors are going to keep writting for Microsoft till the end of
>time with that mind set.

Yes they will until the playing field has been leveled somewhat -
which
is where ReactOS comes in. My thinking is that if ReactOS becomes a
big
enough player - by virtue of compatibility - then we will be able to
influence vendor policy. What other answer do you propose?

Cheers
Jason