[ros-kernel] uxtheme

Colin Burn Colin.Burn at pigroup.co.uk
Tue Apr 6 10:51:28 CEST 2004

Hi,

Would you guys be interested in this...

A couple of weekends ago I thought I would have a go at getting the Wine
uxtheme dll compiling in reactos. Attached are my efforts.

I think it would be good if we could merge this in to CVS in place of the
existing uxtheme. I believe that it is better than the current uxtheme and
it will mean that we arent duplicating effort with the Wine project.

This is my first attempt at any kind of development outside of Visual
Studio, so any comments, no matter how harsh, are welcome.

Also, how do you guys see support for themes progressing?

As I see it there are two major things missing that are needed for theming.

1. A theme aware common controls dll.
2. Kernel support for assemblies.

I believe the theme aware common controls could be developed now without
support for assemblies. However it would mean that you would only be able to
install one of the common control dlls and that you would have to force all
apps to use theming, if you install the theme aware dll.

So what would be the logical progression from here?

Branch the common control dll and start on a theme aware common control?
(This may mean a merging nightmare as we would have two copies of the same
code)

Create some kind of library or set of headers that would be common to both
common control dlls?
(Would this need to be co-ordinated with wine?)

I'm very much at the beginning of understanding how much work is required to
get theming working in Reactos but I think it would be a good eye candy
feature if it could work.

Anyway all comments and suggestions are welcome and feel free to flame my
work.

Cheers

Col