[ros-kernel] ReactOS is not loading auto-start drivers anymore

Eric Kohl eric.kohl at t-online.de
Tue Apr 13 14:10:10 CEST 2004

"Filip Navara" <xnavara at volny.cz> wrote:

> you're right that the current implementation of LookupPrivilegeValue is
> a hack and I will remove it and revert all the changes. Can you tell me
> how Services gets the Load Driver privilage on real Windows?

We need to use NtAdjustPrivilegeToken() to enable or disable a certain
privilege. The privilege must be enabled right before the function that
requires a privilege is called and disable it right after the function has
been called. Otherwise we might cause security holes. We also need to use
the privilege LUIDs, for example SE_SHUTOWN_PRIVILEGE, rather than the
privilege names. This way we can avoid the LookupPrivilegeValue() trap.

> Right. Current I have a working hacky implementation that I will only
> commit to branch until a correct implemenation will be coded. Robert
> Shearman from Wine contacted me and sent me and IDL that repesents the
> SCM RPC calls. He also created a big RPCRT patch sometime before and so
> I will soon look into implementing it correctly.

Great! I also think we can use other IDLs from the Samba or Samba TNG
projects. IIRC, they have IDLs for remote registry access and other
components.

Regards,
Eric