[ros-kernel] Re: Coding style/indentation (again!?)

Rex Jolliff rex at osexperts.com
Sun Feb 1 10:15:04 CET 2004

At 11:35 PM 1/31/2004 +0100, you wrote:
> > > Revoking commits only because they don't conform to some
> > > styling are also very problematic.
> >
> > Why?
>
>I can imagine situations, where the indenting/formating rules are not really
>correct, and should be overidden. Or there may even be some bug, which
>makes impossible to commit a change.

I agree that trying to have the indent happen on the server side of the commit
is not workable.  CVS needs a client side precommit filter option.

On the other hand, I like the indent checking and commit rejection option. How
about a directive at the top of the file which controls what checking will
be done.
checking could default to none, and you could place a line at the top of
the file
like:

/* $filter: indent -flags -you -want -here$ */

CVS could scan for these directives and pass them file through the
filter.  (I would
not allow arbitrary programs as filters, as nefarious things might be
possible.)
We could have a few different filters available to cover different kinds of
source files
to be handled.

Rex Jolliff
rex at lvcm.com