[ros-kernel] Crash in bootvid.sys on head with VMware 4.5.2

Filip Navara xnavara at volny.cz
Wed Jun 30 01:23:16 CEST 2004

Hi Steven,

since this problem become more widespread across the user base I decided
to take a look at it. What I found is that the problem is the
multithreaded nature of our bootvid driver. While it loads the boot
splash in one thread, the boot process continues. Unfortnetly it's so
fast that the splash loading isn't even finished and bootvid is called
to cleanup. It unmaps the video memory and crash happens in the second
thread (that is still loading the splash).

I thought about (temporary) solving it by waiting for terminating the
bootvid thread on cleanup. Unfortunetly that's currently not safe too
because there are other timeouts involved during the boot and it can
happen that bootvid cleanup will be resumed after switching to graphics
mode (using videoprt) and that's bad thing (TM). My solution to this was
to call InbvEnableBootDriver(FALSE) in videoprt while opening the
display device (like in Windows), but unfortunetly that only crashed the
kernel.

Since I'm going asleep now I decided that I would write it down so it
will not be forgotten. Any help on this issue is welcome.

Regards,
Filip