[ros-kernel] Process scheduler / timer resolution

tmassey at obscorp.com tmassey at obscorp.com
Sun Mar 14 14:30:40 CET 2004

ros-kernel-bounces at reactos.com wrote on 03/14/2004 06:22:43 AM:

> First PC was a definitely secodn-hand DEC Rainbow; thankfully the next
was a
> hand-me-down XT from the local Uni; next one was a honest-to-goodness 486
and
> I thought I was the bee's knees!
>
> Took for ever to get a decent OS for it - OS/2, of course, and then
> IBM played
> fast and loose with developing apps for it, so it wasn't quite as good as
I'd
> hoped.

I had exactly the same situation.  I went from my Tandy 1000 HX (8088 at a
whopping 7MHz) to an absolutely *top* of the line 486DX-33 with 4MB in
1992.  Of course, my parents had bought it for me to learn OS/2 with, and
you couldn't run OS/2 2.0 in 4MB.  This is when 2MB was a larger than
average amount of RAM for a new computer!  So, my parents ponied up the
dough for an extra 4MB, bringing the price of the system to over $2500.

Yes, I do thank them often for my current career in Information Technology:
they obviously deserve it!  :)

Tim Massey