[ros-kernel] version.dll research/findings

Royce Mitchell III royce3 at ev1.net
Tue Mar 16 03:02:56 CET 2004

Okay, I've done some research into the version.dll problem, and here's
what I've found:

MS's GetFileVersionInfoSize() sets the 2nd parameter to 0 if it is non-null.

In our case, something like this would do:

if ( handle ) *handle = 0;

of this variable, SDK says:

/lpdwHandle/
    Pointer to a variable that the function sets to zero.

Also, later in the function we have this:
    if ( handle ) *handle = offset;

Again, SDK seems to indicate that if handle is non-null, we always set
it's contents to 0.

Finally,

when called for "comctl32.dll" on Windows XP SP1, MS's version of this
function returns a value of 1788, whereas ours is only finding 892.

I believe these issues ( and particularly the last one ) are
contributory to certain versions of winzip not working in reactos, yet.

Royce3