[ros-dev] Re: We have a web browser : Input ?

Mike Swanson mikeonthecomputer at gmail.com
Mon Jan 24 21:39:35 CET 2005

We should at least implement basic features that some programs depend
on. That should include wrapping functions around an open-source
solution such as Mozilla.

It is also my opinion that we should not force Internet capabilities
if people do not want them. This was (and is) Microsoft's biggest
mistake, especially with Windows 98. I know many people who think that
Windows 98 shouldn't have had Internet Explorer. they continued to do
it to Windows NT at the same time (Windows 2000, as it is commonly
called). Microsoft pushed it even further in Windows XP, making the
activation feature (oh please. DO NOT copy this) in JavaScript. They
did it mostly so that people who removed Internet Explorer from
Windows forcefully wouldn't be able to use Windows XP. (One more
common work-around is to illegally download the Corporate edition.)

If you feel it to be necessary to copy some basic Internet Explorer
features that are "integrated" into Windows, go ahead and do it.
Please, however, make it optional. I guarentee that if you do not,
someone will derive from the official project. People make derivation
of the proprietary Microsoft Windows (98lite, nLite,
vorck.com/remove-ie.html), ReactOS is much easier to modify.