[ros-dev] Re: We have a web browser : Input ?

Steven Edwards steven_ed4153 at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 24 18:46:37 CET 2005

--- Richard Campbell <eek2121 at comcast.net> wrote:
> If internet explorer were a 'mistake' it wouldn't have a 92% user base.
> If it isn't working, people wouldn't use it.  It took quite a long time
> for a worthy competitor (firefox) to appear.  Anyways, cloning internet
> explorer is outside the scope of this project.  It may BE a part of
> windows, but we can install it (IE5 at least) seperately (eventually).

Some things in Internet Explorer are a mistake, Buggy ActiveX, faulty rendering, broken standards
all come to mind.

Having a set of OS services for ftp,http,gopher,ssl,etc such as those provided by wininet.dll
(Part of Internet Explorer) are not. Not to mention the language support features provided by
mlang.dll (Part of Internet Explorer) or having a html rendering library that applications can use
mshtml.dll (Again part of Internet Explorer) or easy to use COM control to allow you embedded a
browser window in your application such as shdocvw.dll (Once again part of Internet
Explorer).....Not to mention other dlls not listed here that application vendors use.

ReactOS faces a the option of either working with Wine to reimplement these modules and not be
dependant on Microsoft software or to have a broken system. Wine already has support for wrapping
the Mozilla ActiveX Control in our implementation of shdocvw.dll so having a webbrowser is simple
Win32 Applicaton that calls IWebbrowser which in turn loads the Gecko COM object and embeddeds it
in a Window. Our Explorer.exe already does this. All I am asking for is a simple standalone app or
shortcut that does this using SDI.

How are the users supposed to download a better browser if we don't ship something on ReactOS?

Thanks
Steven