[ros-dev] Console Csrss Handle Errors

Alex Ionescu ionucu at videotron.ca
Tue Jul 12 08:48:40 CEST 2005

Casper Hornstrup wrote:

>I'm sorry that you always think I'm "out to get you" when I complain
>about the way we do things and you are involved. I can't change how you
>feel - unless maybe I never will complain about things in which you are
>involved.
>
>It's not like you countered my preliminary arguments with great arguments
>for developing such big patches in your local working copy. Why don't you
>do that instead of bringing up a whole bunch of other unrelated issues?
>Convince me (and others) that such big patches are good for the project.
>
>Casper

I hope you appreciate the fact that I spent 4 extra hours attempting to
split up this patch, which required me to add hacks to the unpatched
parts to make them compile/work, only to over-write that code 5 minutes
later. So there is argument number one. Splitting up patches made me
lose time, and possibly screw things up.

Secondly, you don't seem to have addressed the fact that svn diffs are
not optimized. Nor that there have been large patches by other people
which were accepted perfectly. I've seen patches were a developer
deletes 10 files and re-writes a 500 line file. That can easily cause a
5000+ line patch. There is no way that will cause more regressions or
break the tree then if the patch were only the ~1000 lines needed. 3000
lines of the 10K number were deletions. Renamings are annoying too.
Another 2K lines of my patch was simply renaming all the code that uses
members in a structure which was named incorrectly. Once again, no real
code change. Just another artificial inflation. What possible good point
was there in me comitting this part of my patch separately? I had to
edit parts of /lib/rtl that the next patch totally removed!

Thirdly, patches themselves can be big. My actual CreateProcess patch is
about 2-3K lines, which is still "large". There is no way it can be
split up more. You will just have to face the fact.

Most people/places would be very proud that a coder spent his time on
his large patch, not lecture him and have him waste 4 more hours into a
useless excercise of splitting which only causes more possible
regressions and the stupidity of adding hacks to be removed 5 minutes
later by a 2nd patch. And once again, even though there have been other
large patches, it is mine you attack. When someone gives you a bag of 10
000$, do you complanin that you would like it in 10 small briefcases?