[ros-dev] serial driver bug

Saveliy Tretiakov saveliyt at mail.ru
Wed Mar 16 09:52:43 CET 2005

Hervé Poussineau wrote:

> This is not a bug, it's a feature ;)
> Serial stuff is not ready. Serial driver doesn't support reading, we
> don't have any serial enumerator (serenum), serial mouse driver
> directly reads and writes to port without using serial driver. Debug
> output does the same.
>
> I'm planning to replace these drivers one after one. During this time,
> I don't want to break working stuff. So I decided to keep all the
> existing infrastructure, and create a parallel one. That's why I
> created COM3.
> COM1 uses the old stuff (direct write access to the port)
> COM3 uses the new serial driver, and redirects to COM1

Existing infrastructure doesn't create any symbolic links to com
port.(At least on my machine...)
So, I can't see how we can break things by creating "COM1" alias for COM1.

COM3 and COM4 aliases still point to COM1 and COM2, and this can really
break debug output and serial mouse.
Just renaming symbolic links can't solve the problem. In my opinion, the
right solution is to disable COM1 and COM2 at all,
and make COM3 and COM4 symbolic links point to real COM3 and COM4. So, I
will be able to hack on serial driver
without touching debug output :)

> If you have a second serial port, COM4 is also an "alias" for COM2.

I have a second serial port, but COM4 is not created...