[ros-dev] FS or not ...

Oliver Schneider Borbarad at gmxpro.net
Thu Mar 17 22:35:36 CET 2005

> WinOBJ or \Device\WebDavRedirector... I don't think the webdav
> redirector was introduced until WinXP.
My working system is W2K :-[

> And WinOBJ is a sysinternals tool.
I know. There's another version from a Russian developer called WinObjEx and
I am currently working on a reduced Delphi version for an article about the
native API.

> \FileSystem\MRxDAV
So no doubt. You are right.

> WebDAV using "Web Folders" as a client (I think... definetely not
> IIS, I don't have it.)
IIS is included (it replaced the PWS - Personal Web Server - from Windows
9x/Me, just with limitations, e.g. 10 connections max.) in W2K/WXP (but not
installed by default), that's why I ask.

> Windows XP is what I'm looking at... I don't think web folders
> were supported for 2000.
They are :) - but as I said as a shell namespace extension not allowing for
mounting them to directories of DOS drive letters. And you had to install it
explicitly.

> In WinXP, you can map a WebDAV url to a drive letter and access
> it from a DOS window, or any other win32 program.
>
> That's not a shell extension (unfortunately; it would have been
> really cool if shell extensions worked at that level.)
Hehe :) ... would you really like this ... the word "malware" pops into my
mind ...

> PS. Unfortunately, none of this proves that WebDAV uses a user mode
> component :-) That is just what I've heard.  But WebDAV is definitely
> a filesystem.
WebDAV is a meta-filesystem for sure, but the access to it is not
necessarily achieved via filesystem driver. Access of Midnight Commander to
an FTP URL does also not require a filesystem driver (just as an example).

> Personally, I think it was wise of MS to not put a full
> blown webdav client in the kernel.
Definitely. That would be a perfect remote door into kernelmode of any XP
machine. There's surely a usermode component.

Thanks for the information.

Oliver