[ros-dev] More RBuild issues...

Alex Ionescu ionucu at videotron.ca
Sun May 29 15:45:37 CEST 2005

Ge van Geldorp wrote:

>>From: Casper Hornstrup
>>
>>Rsym should strip the stabs symbols. What do you need more?
>>

>Thinking about it, I believe the difference between the before-rbuild and
>after-rbuild situation is that before, stabs symbols would be stripped (for
>both DBG := 0 and 1) but rossym symbols (which make the symbolic stack
>traceback possible) were only added for DBG := 1. Now, for both DBG := 0 and
>1, stabs symbols are stripped but rossym symbols are added even for DBG :=
>0. Personally I think this is a good thing, as it will allow testers to
>report meaningfull stack traces.

Testers shouldn't use DBG = 0 builds.... As I've said before...those
builds should only be for releasing to the public.
They require 64MB of memory to work properly in the first place, are
much larger, slower, etc.

I know that Casper (and even myself) want bug reports to be sent with
meaningful traces, but a 30MB+ memory/disk bloat is not the way to get
that. As I've explained before, since we control the releases, I think
it's much better for us to run addr2line. Casper says this will mean
having hundreds of copies of the symbol files...but I don't see why. We
only need one per release. Then Casper says what about users that
compile their own versions. But I've always been told that users DON'T
compile their own versions, that only "Developers or testers" do. Well,
since I've come to agree with that, then it's clear that there isn't any
issue with users compiling their own version of ReactOS. As for testers
or developers, there's no point in using the release version, since by
building from SVN you're not using a "release" anymore, you're using
your own build, which has DBG = 1.

I hope we can find a compromise.