[ros-dev] A call for 0.2.8

WaxDragon waxdragon at gmail.com
Tue Oct 11 17:48:46 CEST 2005

I know how most of the devs feel about releases, but I think it's time
to branch 0.2.8.

After a period of instability, trunk is now showing stability.  GvG
and Ged reported surprising stability from the LinuxWorld demo builds,
I personally had favorable results from my September State of the Repo
tests.  Last night I was able to build a ReactOS bootcd under r18404,
and then take that bootcd and install it under qemu, under ROS!
Gunnar's win32k changes have had some time to bake in and seem ok*.
There have been approximately 1800 commits since 0.2.7, and I want
those changes to get some general use..

I don't want to *release* now, but I want to tag the branch now, and
maybe release in two weeks (which would make three months sine 0.2.7).
 Putting out an RC1 would give the codebase exposure to the general
public, who may find problems we as devs overlook.  This will also
give devs and testers a change to focus on some of the big issues I
see at the moment, *like this mysterious hang we see on shutdown.
Also, those who wish to move forward can do so, even breaking /
destabilising the tree.

Giving us two or three weeks for testing release canidates will also
allow for the PnP/USB and ws2_32 work to be merged in before the
release.

WD

--
<arty> don't question it ... it's clearly an optimization