[ros-dev] Idea for the textual setup of ReactOS

David Hinz post.center at gmail.com
Fri Oct 14 17:23:25 CEST 2005

Maarten Bosma schrieb:

> David Hinz wrote:
>
>> I can't see your problem with the directory names.
>> I would boot up the ReactOS LiveCD, which would have a fullscreen
>> graphic setup instead of the explorer GUI.
>> So we don't need to implement the graphic subsystem into the setup,
>> we just need to create a fullscreen setup app.
>> Of course I don't want to replace the LiveCD with this, so I don't
>> see any problems.
>

> This is allready how setup works but it does not replace the shell
> (explorer.exe) but smss.exe (Session Manager)
> so it is more low level. I guess that we get much better performace
> and memory usage that way.  I also have to
> say that I think the installer is the least importained thing in the OS.
>
> Maarten Bosma

Sorry, that I write a second response, but there are some additional things:

You say, setup replaces smss.exe, as far as I know this app implements
the graphic subsystem and the native NT-api.
If we would create a setup that doesn't replace smss.exe, but would
'replace' csrss.exe I think we could create something that doesn't need
many resources, but could provide us a GUI. The only problem is, that we
can't create a setup based on the Win32 api, since we are replacing it
and so we have to use the native NT-api functions.
This would make the whole thing very complicated.

Greets,

David Hinz