[ros-dev] New Setup system

Jerry crashfourit at gmail.com
Sun Jan 29 05:23:59 CET 2006

I'm thinking on working on a new setup system (just the installing files
part).

Here are some of the details I'm thinking of (in no particular order):

1) 7-zip compression. 7-zip provides good compression ratios.
2)  xml based package information. This could include registry
information needed by the application.
3) Third parties will be able to use it.
4) ability to download packages off of a network. ( (S)FTP HTTP or Samba )
5) self installing packages.
6) auto compile from source and install.
7) dependencies.
8) auto update from the net (not sure about this one).

If you have any other ideas please add them.

If anybody is interested in it, please tell me, and I'll plan to start
working on it one to two weeks from now.