[ros-dev] Undocumented APIs

Ged Murphy gedmurphy at gmail.com
Tue Jan 31 20:53:33 CET 2006

Alex Ionescu wrote:
> I am vehemently against this idea and I think it kills any chance of
> ReactOS being an NT clone. Have we changed goals or something? I
> thought the point wasn't just to run Windows applications.. if that's
> all we care about now, then why don't we just say fuck-all to the NT
> Architecture and you guys can go and do stuff your own way...get rid
> of smss, get rid of csrss, put win32k in usermode, don't use any
> internal NT structures anymore, and hell, don't even use syscalls
> anymore, nobody depends on those.

I want to see the end product as per the NT architecture. I thought this
was always the goal.

 > You guys better decide, you seem kind of confused...

It seems that way to me too now.

 > are you going to create a working model of NT based
 > on architectural information (and that includes, OSR, PDBs, MSDN,
DDKs, NTDEV/NTIFS
 > Mailing Lists, Windows Internals, Probert, etc) or are you going to
create some half-assed OS
 > that runs every app the users want?

Hopefully the first. I would like to open Windows Internals and be able
to work with ReactOS.
If attracting developers is an end goal, It makes sense that they are
working with internals they are used to.
Granted the internal API's of a particular modual may be different, but
the interfaces should be the same.

Ged.