[ros-general] Microsoft wants royalties for use of FAT

Andrew "Silver Blade" Greenwood lists at silverblade.co.uk
Sat Dec 6 17:51:18 UTC 2003

I don't see why it would be illegal? Surely continuing to use FAT could
result in more legal problems than to just "roll your own"?

What would be really good is if a new file system was developed, and then
drivers made for Linux and Windows to enable the new file system to be used
with those operating systems. Better yet would be to design a file system
that would be compatible with the attributes and security descriptors these
platforms use (if they are different, which I suspect they are.) How this
could be done, I'm not sure. But it could have a more positive than negative
result.