[ros-general] Re: ReactOS UI Team - Concept, Plan, and: help wanted

Mikko Tikkanen mikko.tikkanen at gmail.com
Fri Oct 14 23:18:24 UTC 2005

2005/10/15, Martin Fuchs <fuchs.martin at gmail.com>:
> On 14.10.2005 08:21:30 Mikko Tikkanen wrote:
> > Quick post before school.
>
> > Erm. As I've stated since the start of whole UI team conversation, I
> > would like to see ROS aim for classic window look (classic being XP's
> > classic theme) with few upgrades, like start menu. I've been designing
> > new way for configuring the OS but I still don't think I like it
> > enough...
>
> OK, I also prefer the "classic look" of Windows. It's not wasting so much
> space on the desktop for window borders and big start menu icons.
> What are your ideas to improve the start menu?
> I already implemented little gimmicks like the floating start menu windows
> and the "program search dialog", which makes possible to search entries
> in the "program" start menu folder.

There is basic layout I designed a while ago, displaying the search menu & view:
http://www.tpu.fi/~a5mtikka/varasto/guidesign/search.jpg

As the two column start menu seem to create quarrel I created kind of
a hybrid of those two. From top down (- {item name}: {things in the
submenu}):
- Username, Help button
- The list of recent applications used
- My Documents: Recent files, Browse my files
- My Computer: Browse my computer, Printers, Control panel
- Network: Recent, Browse network, My shares, Network settings
- Search: Search, Recent, Advanced
- Run: Run, Recent, Advanced...
- All programs
- Lock and Power off