[ros-general] New to ReactOS

Brandon Turner turnerb7 at msu.edu
Mon Oct 17 16:16:57 UTC 2005

Redefined Horizons wrote:

> I have just migrated from Windows to Linux, and I am very curious
> about ReactOS. I have a couple of newbie questions I was hoping I
> could get answered. (I have already checked the developer and user
> FAQs on the ReactOS website.)
>
> [1] Is ReactOS built on a Unix core, or is it a new operating
> sytem from the ground up?

Ground up to follow NT.

> [2] Can you dual boot with ReactOS and a Linux operating system like
> Debian? If you can, is there a place where I can find instructions on
> how to do so?

Yes, you can use grub and chainload freeloader.  Unforunatly i cant find
the link that tells how to do this anymore.

> [3] Does an application that runs on Microsoft Windows have to be
> ported before it can be run on ReactOS? Can I try installing the
> program to see how it works?

No need to port, just try to install it and see if it works.

> Thanks,

ReactOS isnt useable as a primary operating system and is mostly just
for testing and developing at its current state.

Hope that clears up any questions you had.

> Scott Huey

Brandon