[ros-kernel] More on 0.2

Ge van Geldorp ge at gse.nl
Thu Jan 15 12:40:07 CET 2004

> From: Jason Filby
>
> Firstly, for the binary zip and image files we usually
> release, this will have to be done from an installation that
> has been created via the ISO. This is because the setup
> program now does things that the make install does not, for
> instance, creating the command prompt shortcut. Its tempting
> to only have to release the ISO and source, but I'm sure
> someone out there wouldn't like that.

Well, if you do a make install and create the zip immediately after that
(without booting that installation), the zipped registry hive will
contain the setting to automatically run setup on first boot. So the
user unpacks the zip, boots it and is launched into the setup program,
which creates the directories etc. and tells the user to reboot.

> With regards to the win32api that is a separate download: why
> not make a 0.2-win32api branch. Then those developers that
> wish to try and get the latest win32api into 0.2 in time for
> release can have a go at it. I would certainly make time to
> assist in this effort.

Although I was in favour of importing w32api earlier, I don't think this
is a good idea anymore. The mistake we made was that we started
depending on the CVS version, somewhere around mid-december. Although
there were good reasons for it at that point, this turned out to be Not
A Good Thing. Since we all suffered the consequences from this, it’s a
mistake we're unlikely to repeat. In the future we should/will depend
only on released w32api versions and the problems we had will simply not
exist.

Gé.