[ros-dev] Idea for the textual setup of ReactOS

David Hinz post.center at gmail.com
Fri Oct 14 14:10:41 CEST 2005

Bernd Blaauw schrieb:

> David Hinz schreef:
>
>> Well, I had this idea some days ago, but until now nobody really
>> liked my idea to create a graphical setup on the base of LiveCD...
>
> Nobody talked about installing from the LiveCD yet. Actually that's
> impossible currently, due to memory constraints and directory troubles.
> ReactOS installation cdrom uses the \REACTOS directory on cdrom, and
> the LiveCD does the same thing.
> Installed ReactOS also does the same thing. Last limit would be ISO
> size probably.
>
> A real GUI setup program on the installation cdrom might be doable,
> but drifts further away from a nice goal: installation on 80486/16MB
> systems (like Win95)
>
> bring up your ideas in the ReactOS forums, I usually don't get a
> response here on the developers(!) mailinglist either :)
>
> Bernd

I can't see your problem with the directory names.
I would boot up the ReactOS LiveCD, which would have a fullscreen
graphic setup instead of the explorer GUI.
So we don't need to implement the graphic subsystem into the setup, we
just need to create a fullscreen setup app.
Of course I don't want to replace the LiveCD with this, so I don't see
any problems.

Greets,

David Hinz